A Tough Question That Need Some Answers Thank You!!

Decorating By mesnina Updated 15 Jan 2016 , 3:31am by mesnina

mesnina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mesnina Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone! Would like some advice on my friendâs wedding cake..

So hereâs a little bit information about the cake before the question. As you can see below, the before picture is the skeleton of the cake. And the after picture is just a very rough representation of the cake after putting the roses which I photoshop them each individually. The wedding cake is a 5tier which consists of 4 dummy cakes and the bottom tier is a 14â chocolate buttercake (not in the pic).

The first question is, will the bottom tier collapse due to the heavy weight at the top like the fondant and lotsa roses (im making ard 100 of those roses)?

The next picture I attached is how I construct the skeleton of the cake. The dowels goes through the dummies as well as the pillar. The transparent pillars will be filled with petals so that white plastic dowel canât be seen.

The second question is, for the real cake at the bottom tier, is it safe to also poke through the plastic dowel through the cake and extend it inside the 4 pillars just like the dummies in previous tiers? I was thinking of doing this as well as extra dowels in the real cake as well just for extra support.

Let me know what you think!!

5697d539b12b7.jpeg

5697d53a97557.jpeg

*Last edited by mesnina on 14 Jan 2016 , 5:09pm
4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 5

i don't see the benefit of using dowel through the dummies and if you have the right dowel in the bottom cake tier no it won't fall or collapse --

what is your benefit to place the dowel through the dummies? i mean i guess it is that little bit more stable but i would not do that -- i'd just stack it -- dowel the bottom and be happy that I did not have to dowel but one tier -- i mean you're using foam dummies right? if yes then you are good to go --

nothing wrong with doweling them but it's extra not really necessary work

mesnina Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 2:27am
post #3 of 5

Hi! Thanks for your reply

Actually I did thought of skipping the dowels and just glue the bottom of the pillars to the cake. But my concerned was if glueing is sufficient enough for support as the roses are more to the right and it could tilt the structure.. 

So I thought maybe putting dowels through the pillars could help.. What do you think? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:18am
post #4 of 5

if you placed your cascade upside down of the way you have it you'd need to anchor the cake down -- the way you have it set up with the most flowers on the bottom and the way i build cascades i would not need to dowel the dummies -- a cascade rests on itself -- it won't pull over a 14" tier

so I guess it depends on how you build it -- it won't hurt anything to dowel and it seems like you'd feel better so go for it -- 

i hope you update and post a picture as to how it goes -- best to you

mesnina Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:31am
post #5 of 5

I see.. Thank u for your advice!!

i will :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%