Lettering On Sweet Yeast Bread

Decorating By Atsiaras Updated 15 Jan 2016 , 3:47am by Atsiaras

Atsiaras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atsiaras Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 4:19am
post #1 of 8

I make a sweet bread that uses yeast. I need to decorate it with lettering that can be baked and will not change color as the bread itself is egg washed prior to baking. I tried making a meringue but it cracks or spreads as the bread bakes.bakeries in Greece use a technique that I can't figure out that comes out perfect. Thoughts 

7 replies
LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 8

To make the cross on a hot cross bun, you just mix a little water into some flour to make a paste and then pipe that on.  It bakes well - perhaps you could try that?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 8

this is an idea -- i've never tried it and the bread still expands in the oven so that's a strange concept to factor in but i have often piped/baked pate choux (cream puff dough) just onto parchment and i have lovely 3-d lettering/decor to apply -- it might work to pipe on before baking --

now trying to control the color too -- that's too much for my little brain -- except for coloring it after baking maybe?

and i'm Polish not Greek so...idk :)

but i just use the basic recipe of water, flour, butter, eggs, nothing fancy

oh one other thought is to cut the dough so it spreads out in that pattern? would be pretty difficult but if it's just a couple letters it might work?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 8

and please update as to how you proceed & good luck with this -- lovely little project -- hey call a Greek bakery! 

OPAH!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:03am
post #5 of 8

Have you tried searching for "painted bread?" I recall seeing a tutorial for that some time ago.

Here is what I mean:

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2009/06/basic-bread-painting-technique.html

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/15710_Bread_Painting/

Atsiaras Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:19am
post #6 of 8

I will try the flour thing! As for calling Greek bakeries they do not share trechniques, been there done that. I am enclosing a picture of what I mean. this particular one looks a bit grainy, no real tast to it

0750-09001B.jpg

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:30am
post #7 of 8

Here's some other ideas: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/32035/bread-fashion-show-bbd-56

Let us know which one you pick. It's been on my list of things to do, if I ever bake a decent loaf that is!

Maybe a thin dough letters on top attached with an egg wash before baking?

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 15 Jan 2016 , 3:31am
Atsiaras Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 3:47am
post #8 of 8

Epirotes-cut-vasilopita-Image-01-816x544.jpg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%