How Are These Dots Made & Placed On?

Decorating By CreativeCakeFactory Updated 10 May 2016 , 9:28pm by costumeczar

CreativeCakeFactory Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 13

Hi All,

I have several brides asking for this cake design. I have made it a few times using different items to make the dots but it never comes out perfectly. Anyone know how these gold dots are made & placed on? Thanks!

12 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 13

it looks like the same material as we get here for edible gold sequins.  Maybe do some googling to see if you can find the tutorial on making them from home?  If not, it's either lots of tiny circles painted gold and stuck on, or, someone using a piping nozzle to mark the circle, then painting them in.  Based on the fact that it doesn't look like there is any depth to them, I'd say option 1 or 3. x

costumeczar Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 13

This one looks like the circles were pressed into the fondant to mark them, then painted with gold edible paint. I'd guess they used about a number 12 round piping tip to mark them. They look like they're flush with the surface of the cake, not made separately and applied, and there are several that look slightly domed, which would happen if the piping tip pressed into the fondant.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 13

The easiest way to make them is using the spreadable lace mix (I like the pre-mixed gold from Clair Bowman) and a sequin lace mat.

Placing them is a bit dicey...easiest tool is a Sugar Veil Vacuum Pick Up Tool (  though it's probably too pricey for investing in if you wouldn't use it much, but a tool like that make placing dots or other small decorations ready easy!

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 13

OMG!!! I need that vacuum in my life!!!!!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 13

They're great for placing pearls, dragees, etc.

hep275 Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 13

I'm a novice baker with very unsteady hands (family trait!).  I struggle with trying to pick up and place delicate decoration on cakes and Father Christmas got me something similar to this for Christmas - it is only intended to pick up light things and I haven't tried it out yet, but its certainly cheaper than the sugar veil one - which I do appreciate is made specifically for the caking market.  This link might be of interest to those who cant justify spending a lot of money.....

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 13

hep275 -- looks like a great tool -- thanks

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 13

That does look neat...and it says it can pick up objects up to 50 grams....but it also says it doesn't ship to the US! :(  I wonder if it could be found anywhere else?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 13

UPDATE - Amazon sells it...but much more $$

kjgjam22 Posted 10 May 2016 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 13

I know this post is from January but I dont see the answer. Did you figure out how to make it? I have see a few ways to do it. I have seen them use wafer paper and gold leaf then punch out the circles. I have also seen them made from fondant.

costumeczar Posted 10 May 2016 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 13

They're painted on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%