Decorating By BritAbroad Updated 17 Jan 2016 , 5:47pm by BritAbroad

BritAbroad Posted 12 Jan 2016 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 9

I just got an airbrush kit for Christmas to add to my ever-increasing stash of cake decorating equipment.  Does anyone have any great online tutorials that they found helpful when starting out?

8 replies
jellybeanlane Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 3:33am
post #2 of 9

I've just looked on you tube some are better than others but just practicing it yourself is what will really help you... It looks simple but when you first start the control is not there so don't get discouraged just work with it and you'll get the feel of it and become more comfortable over time... Good luck! 

BritAbroad Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 11:36am
post #3 of 9

Thanks - I can't wait to have some free time to mess around with it!  My daughter (who has just had a birthday) just spotted a Galaxy cake and wants that for her birthday next January so I have a while to practice LOL!

jellybeanlane Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 9

Oh yeah that sounds like fun... I'm doing a camo cake for my grandsons 1st birthday this month using the airbrush ... Its great for that because you can overlap colors and brush in sticks etc.  :)

BritAbroad Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 9

Camo, that's sounds great - I'll file that idea away for my son's next b'day!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2016 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 9

i was just at the hardware store and they had particulate (dust)  masks for less than a dollar -- get you one of those and some goggles too -- you don't need that in your lungs or eyes -- use them when you use dusts too and if you sift confectioners sugar --

i also keep polident tablets (for cleaning false teeth) with my air brush and i drop one in a cup of water and dip my fingers in their to help prevent the color from staining -- it will just wash off

air brush minutiae but important minutiae :)

edited to say: and congratulations on getting your airbrush! i wanted to sleep with mine like a teddy bear

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 13 Jan 2016 , 9:51pm
BritAbroad Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 12:24am
post #7 of 9

Thanks K8memphis - my degree was in design my lungs have been filled with nasties after many and all-nighter being pulled with my room full of spray adhesive ... but thanks for the tips, I will try in my adult 'wisdom-ness' to be more health conscious!

The cleaning tip sounds like a fab idea - I often wear food grade gloves when handling food colouring but will try your suggestion with the airbrush.

I am so excited, I just need a cake to do - this is a hobby so I have to wait for a friend or one of the kids to need a cake to have an excuse to play!  I wish I could make it a business but it seems MD has rather strict (and expensive to follow) laws about running home-based 'cottage' food businesses :( I may have to cover a couple of dummies just for fun!

cazza1 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 9

The Craftsy video by Lisa Berczel is excellent for beginners.  It goes through not only basic instructions on using your airbrush but also airbrush construction and care.

BritAbroad Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Cazza1 - I'll be sure to check it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%