Homemade Ice Cream.........oops

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 10 Feb 2016 , 10:38pm by Gerle

MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 19

Have had a small ice cream making machine by Cuisinart for about 10 years and never used it.  So I tried an old fasioned cooked custard vanilla recipe.  Oh My was that a big mistake..........it is wonderful. All fresh ingredients with no commercial gum additives.  I can't stop making it and eating it........   anyone else here making ice cream?

18 replies
jchuck Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 19

Yes

I also have the small Cuisinart. Didn't use so much this past summer. Like you stated...you make it and you can't stop eating!! I've made a few low fat yogurt recipes, but none wowed me. Hubby and I are working hard to maintain our weight. We don't want to make ice cream until we can find a good recipe for low fat yogurt. Then at least it's a minor indulgence...

theresaf Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 1:17am
post #3 of 19

I have the ice cream maker attachment to my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I use the vanilla ice cream recipe that came with the attachment and substitute vanilla bean paste for regular vanilla extract. It's my base for other flavored ice creams and I make a coffee ice cream (no egg yolks) ALOT.  Both are addictingly yummy

MBalaska Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 1:32am
post #4 of 19

Haven't tried an ice cream recipe without the cooked yolks yet.  I made Alton Browns orange sherbet and that was lovely also. It is just too tempting.....  I'll google the KA recipe.

I also love frozen yoghurt so a good recipe for that would be fun to try.

Gerle Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 2:52am
post #5 of 19

I've been making homemade ice cream for years.  But we make it in the white mountain ice cream makers.  We have an old fashioned one that you have to crank by hand, and we have an electric one.  It makes 6 quarts at a time (I think that's the amount) and the entire family LOVES homemade ice cream.  We've made all kinds of different flavors and use lots of fresh fruits in the summer.  We have a cabin up in the mountains with no electricity - that's one of the reasons for the crank by hand one - and we make ice cream up there, too.  Needless to say - we're quite popular with the other cabin owners - especially those with kids - in the summer time!  There is no ice cream better than homemade!  It is so rich, so creamy, and soooo good!  And you right MBalaska - it is just too tempting!!!  I have not found a commercially made ice cream that is better than homemade!

costumeczar Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 19

I have the little Cuisinart ice cream maker too, and it's a dangerous thing. I'll get on little rampages where i make a lot fo ice cream for a few days, then I stop. I haven't used it much lately.

jchuck Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 19

Exactly costumeczar!!

Describes me/us perfectly!!

Gerle Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 19

We make homemade ice cream for everyone's birthday.  May is a dangerous month because we have 3 birthdays in May, and of course each person wants a different flavor of ice cream!  But of course the summer is the worst time.  It just seems like the perfect time for ice cream so whenever we have a get together, there's always a request for homemade ice cream and since we got the electric maker, it's so much easier to make.

When the kids were smaller, they use to gather around the maker when the ice cream was done so they could all get a chance to take their fingers and get the ice cream fresh from the dasher while we were putting the ice cream in a container to place in the freezer.  It was fun to watch them with ice cream all over their little faces and hands!  We'd have all the nieces and nephews together and what a mess, but it was fun family memories!  We'd get the majority of it off the dasher and then let them have the rest.  They loved it!  And of course they got what was left in the can as well, but mostly it was melted and they drank it.  They didn't care -- they love it any way!  We have lots of pictures of those good old days!  We're the only ones in the family who still make homemade ice cream.  It's become a tradition with us.  My husband is the oldest of 3 children.  I didn't know what homemade ice cream was until I met his family.  Didn't know what I was missing!  Now it's a part of every special occasion we have.  We even make peppermint stick ice cream for Christmas!

MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 1:17am
post #9 of 19

WOW I'm impressed now.  Got some more cream and made the non-cooked non-yolk ice cream.

Talk about Quick!  Just a few minutes to mix up, throw in the machine, churn and into the freezer.

Now it really did not have the same rich old fashioned custardy flavor and texture that I love, but it was pretty good vanilla ice cream.  Now I can make cake and ice cream.......does it get any better that that

salt

sugar

corn syrup

dash of gum arabic

whole milk

heavy cream

vanilla

MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 1:19am
post #10 of 19

@Gerle  Do you just add the goodies at the end of the churning, or mix them in by hand?

Gerle Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 1:43am
post #11 of 19

I kind of do it both ways.  I've added goodies at the end of the churning, and I've mixed them in by hand.  It kind of depends on the type of goodies I'm adding in.  I also have a tendency to mix them in a bit more when I'm taking the ice cream out of the container the ice cream was churned in to place in freezer containers to place in the freezer to harden more for eating.  I've tried a lot of different ice creams and am planning on trying a bacon ice cream this year.  My oldest son is a bacon fanatic and has been bugging me to try bacon ice cream, so for his birthday this year I'm going to give it a try.  Should be interesting!  I always put the ice cream in containers to freeze and I mix them up again as I'm placing them in those containers to place in the freezer to make sure they are mixed up well.  I've found that when churning the ice cream, nuts and some fruits that tend to be "heavy" go to the bottom of the container, so if they aren't mixed up before final freezing, they tend to all go to the bottom, so they need to be mixed again before the final freeze.  I've always loved to cook and bake, so adding making ice cream to the mix was very natural.  I'm going to hate getting too old to do all this stuff!!!

Gerle Posted 12 Jan 2016 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 19

Our kids have rented a house at a place called Dillon's Beach here in California in February on the weekend of our wedding anniversary.  We honeymooned there.  My in-laws had friends who used to own a house there and they let us use it for our honeymoon.  My husband had been injured and got laid off work for a while just as we were getting married, so we couldn't afford to go any place and then got offered this house.  It was really nice and we enjoyed it.  The people have since passed away and the house is gone, but our sons decided that it would be a good place to go back to after 40 years of marriage, so they checked and found a larger place that would house all of us, so we're all going down there to spend 3-4 days and celebrate our 40 years as husband and wife.  We're looking forward to it and of course we're going to make some homemade ice cream to take with us.  We're going to pack it in ice and dry ice to get it there as it's a few hours drive, but of course it's going to be part of our celebration.  And since I'm the baker in the family, I'm also going to bake a cake to go with the ice cream.  There's going to be 8 of us, 9 if you count the baby, so it's going to be fun.  We'll be right on the beach and will do some clamming as well.  It's going to be lots of fun, lots of good food, and of course good homemade ice cream!  We're all looking forward to it!  We were very surprised when they told us at Christmas that this is what they had planned for our anniversary.  They're such thoughtful kids!  We have two sons, but we also "unofficially" adopted my oldest son's wife's younger brother.  We took him in when he was in 8th grade and raised him through his sophmore year in high school, then my son and his wife took him into their home.  We've accepted him as a third son, but never officially adopted him.  We're all happy with the situation and he's now married, just got out of the service and has a wife and son of his own - that's where the baby comes in.  An extended family is what it's called I guess, but family nontheless and he's joining us as well.  He says he's looking forward to the ice cream because he's missed it while being in the service.  Makes it all worthwhile!

MBalaska Posted 12 Jan 2016 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 19

That's a very happy story.  Who knew that homemade ice cream can have such a tradition, it's inspiring.

Happy Anniversary @Gerle  

cazza1 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 19

mmmmmm  Mango Sherbet....Yeah I know MB you don't like mango  but we love it and they are in season here at the moment.

cazza1 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 19

mmmmmm  Mango Sherbet....Yeah I know MB you don't like mango  but we love it and they are in season here at the moment.

cazza1 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:07pm
post #16 of 19

see, I like it so much that the computer just keeps on posting!!!!

MBalaska Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 8:59am
post #17 of 19

You're so right, no mango-tango for me.  The cooked custard ice cream was the absolute best. I can deceive myself into doing it again soon by reminding myself that the cost was about a fourth of the cost of expensive ice cream at the store.  I'll lie to myself about the time it takes and the dishes that have to be washed etc.

GI Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 3:18am
post #18 of 19

If you *always* make your own ice-cream instead of store bought....you aren't apt to dive into it as much.  Sometimes we forget about our stash in the freezer, until we say "hey, is there any ice-cream?"  

Gerle Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 10:38pm
post #19 of 19

GI, unfortunately, at our house no one ever forgets about the "stash" in the freezer so our homemade ice cream doesn't last long!  It goes pretty fast!  Especially in the summer when there's so much fresh fruit available to make toppings from.  The kids like ice cream made from the fresh fruit, but they also like vanilla ice cream topped wih fresh fruit toppings.  My kids have become ice cream snobs in a way....they love ice cream, but prefer homemade above all others.  Can't say that I blame them.  There's just no taste in ice cream quite like homemade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%