Raspberries

Baking By grama_j Updated 11 Jan 2016 , 7:18pm by jellybeanlane

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 12

I need to make a lemon cake in a couple of weeks........... I would like to put a thin layer of lemon curd for the filling, and then a layer of red raspberries........ Does anyone know, will this just make a mess........ will the berries wilt and run and ruin the icing ? It will have to be made the day before I need it.........  Any suggestions ?

Thanks...

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 12

i am from the 'more is more' camp regarding fillings -- if a little is good a lot is better :) 

but seriously in this case to preserve the raspberries i'd use a thicker layer of the curd so the berries can just snuggle down in there rather than get squished by the cake layer above unless that is your desired result -- it would make pretty red dots of raspberry goodness absorbed by the cake -- but keep them an inch away from the very edges -- 

another thing is that you will be feeding everyone raspberry seeds too so there's that -- some people use polaner all fruit type jelly/jam stuff or you could cook down the raspberries and seive it yourself then drizzle it onto the lemon curd -- this is making me hungry... but cook it well down so the flavormis concentrated and there's no water left --

it should be fine well wrapped in the fridge over night 

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 12

Oh, RATS !!  I didn't think about the seeds........ THANK YOU...... THANK YOU !! I've used seedless jam before, so maybe I'll just stick with that......... Thank you for the help........

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 12

you are welcome --

scattering a few around the finished cake is another thought -- i recently bought some marzipan so i can make a few marzipan raspberries for a cake i'm gonna do 

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 12

it's interesting -- may daughter just took a lemon cake out of her oven -- small world smaller

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 12

I was watching a French chef baking show. And she was doing the same type of cake/desert .. She said if you mix a tlbs of Orange liquor in with the raspberries and let them set a few hours before using it will keep the raspberries nice and red and firm...and make them even sweeter when eaten... 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 12

so i had a rare bit of stray energy today and i went ahead and got out the marzipan to make the raspberries -- usually i buy almond paste & make my own marzipan but this time i went ahead and saved the few steps and just bought the Odense already made marzipan -- it is Awful -- i added some almond extract -- no go -- i'm gonna toss it -- no way would i send that out my door -- just tastes like poo --

so just a word to the wise and wonderful -- avoid the Odense marzipan but their almond paste has always been real good -- go figure

jellybeanlane Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 3:22am
post #8 of 12

I've never heard o marzipan? @-K8memphis  when I posted earlier I assumed she was talking about real fruit... can I ask what that is?

TIA

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 4:29am
post #9 of 12

marzipan is an almond candy that you can model with kinda like a fondant -- in fact it's often used on cakes like fruitcakes under fondant -- you get ground almonds made into a paste then use that to make marzipan by adding a few other ingredients --

it is irresistibly delicious, takes food color brilliantly and is great fun to model with --

and yes op was talking real fruit -- i was just mentioning a 'raspberry' project i had going

jellybeanlane Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 2:11am
post #10 of 12

That's awesome... I do a lot of modeling choc things swans roses etc. But that would be great as well ..... Would you have a tried and true recipe you wouldn't mind sharing?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 12

sure i use the one on page 199 of margaret braun's beautiful book, cakewalk -- but i will put the directions in my own words so as not to bite any copyrights --

• 8 ounces of almond paste (1/2 pound)
  • 3 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1 teaspoon rose-blossom water or orange-blossom water or vanilla 
  • 5 tablespoons light corn syrup or glucose

shred/crumble/cut the almond paste into your mixer bowl -- add half the sugar and all the other ingredients -- combine well -- add the rest of the sugar -- knead it until smooth -- take a ping pong ball size and roll it into a smoothy smooth orb and place it on the counter top for 5 minutes -- if it flattens very much add a little more sugar and test again until it barely flattens & stays nice & round -- roll it all into a large ball and wrap in plastic wrap -- will keep in fridge for 4 months --

best to you

edited to add page #

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 11 Jan 2016 , 7:20pm
jellybeanlane Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 12

Oh wow this sounds amazing I'm so excited I can't wait to try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%