The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Baking By Amps.prkns Updated 21 Jan 2016 , 3:15pm by shaloop

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 8 Jan 2016 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 6

I'm stumped. I have a recipe which I think is perfect, the chocolate chip cookie comes out gooey and crunchy and chewy but the minute it gets cold it's hard as a rock. I need a cookie I could make at seven in the morning and it will still be the same at midnight what can I do differently, or have you found the perfect chocolate chip cookie?

here's my recipe:

2#butter

8c  Brown sugar 

2c white sugar

8 eggs

8 yolks

16c flour

4T baking powder

2T salt

16c chocolate chip 

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jan 2016 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 6

I proportioned your recipe by 1/4 to compare it to mine.  This is what yours looks like:

1c butter

2 cu brown sugar

1/2 c sugar

2 eggs

2 yolks

4 c flour

1T powder

1/2 T salt

4 cups chocolate

The major difference between your recipe and mine is a lot more sugar and flour.  You've got about a cup more flour and a cup more of brown sugar than mine.  Brown sugar should add moisture so I think too much flour is the culprit.  I just made a batch of cookies last night and they were really soft when warm, crispy on the outside and a little chewy on the inside when cool and a few hours later.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jan 2016 , 3:47am
post #3 of 6

my recipe is close to yours @Pastrybaglady  

For beginners the recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag is pretty darn good.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 10 Jan 2016 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

You may also be over baking them too. Cookies are always softer when warm and for a bit afterward. Try baking for the minimum time as well.

For recipes, mine uses 2 cups of flour (I use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 bread flour), 1 cup of brown sugar(no white sugar) and 1 cup of butter, 3/4 teaspoons of baking soda (plus eggs and chocolate chips). I started with a back of the bag chocolate chip cookie recipe and and then played with it (in small increments and lots of documentation). This site helped me figure out what to add/subtract since it has pictures: http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html it explains what does what to the cookie with pictures! :D

Good luck! Everyone's ideal cookie different. I like soft, but my Mom loves only crunchy, so my recipe can vary depending on who I'm making it for.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Jan 2016 , 12:51am
post #5 of 6

I use the Tollhouse recipe but substitute good dark chocolate and ALWAYS use butter, NEVER margarine, I use sea salt instead of iodized as well. I have found good success with them. I use a cookie scoop to portion the batter and put the cookies on the baking tray in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking them. I take them out just before they look done so the residual heat finishes cooking them, keeping the center soft. They stay amazing for a couple days. 

I love salty and sweet so I add a generous pinch more salt than it calls for and add walnuts or pecans, but I know nuts in cookies is a polarizing topic.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 6

Bake for less time. You can also try melting the butter before mixing, using part shortening, or adding a little corn syrup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%