Icing Cake With Poker Chips And Player Cards

Baking By toastskagen Updated 7 Jan 2016 , 6:31pm by kakeladi

toastskagen Posted 6 Jan 2016 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! So im gonna bake a cake for my boyfriends birthday and was thinking to do my own sponge cake and then  fill it up with jam and buttercream or what ever it called and put roll on icing on top.. I think this is what is a usual cake here in the UK. Im from Sweden and we do it diffrent. Anyhow never made it and thing is with this cake I am gonna make it poker related so i bought Poker chips and player cards icing online on ebay so i basiclly just need to cut them and put them on but to me they seem so thin and when i google on poker cakes they decoration look like real thick icing that u wouldve rolled on. So i wonder if i could put them on a roll on icing and then put that on the cake that already have roll on icing? like will it not be too much icing? And also does it work to put on the roll on icing without that round thing people use to spin it around? Sorry for too much text, i hope someone get what i meant. Thank you!!

4 replies
Caketrainer Posted 7 Jan 2016 , 12:12am
post #2 of 5

I Think I understand what you are wanting. You can attach the icing pictures to fondant (rolled icing) and trim to the correct size or you can just put the pictures on the cake after covering the cake with fondant. It is possible to do either way. It just depends on the look you are wanting to achieve.  if you want the poker chips and cards to look thick and real 3d and have a more sturdy look then attach them to fondant - if you don't attach to fondant then the look of the poker chips and cards with be very thin and not 3d looking. As far as using a turn table - I never use one when i'm putting my fondant on my cakes. It's too hard to keep it from turning on me. I like to keep my cakes on the counter and physically turn my cake when I need to. I hope this helps! Good luck, i'm sure it will be a beautiful cake and your boyfriend will love it!

toastskagen Posted 7 Jan 2016 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for the answer! Appricate it alot :) so i thinking i will do the 3d but how will it get stuck on the fondant? Assume i put it on fondant and then put the fondant on thw fondant cake? Just dont know if it will stick just by putting it on the cake? Thank you :)

640Cake Posted 7 Jan 2016 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 5

A little bit of water will make an edible image stick to fondant.  Just a bit, though - too much will seep through your image.  And then water will also make fondant to stick to fondant, if you need to secure the card and chips once they dry.

kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2016 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 5

Here's one on that theme I made.  It might help you understand the other poster's comments &/or get your creative juices flowing :)  http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1317828/playing-cards

Quote by @%username% on %date%