Gel Or Royal Icing??

Decorating By 61999 Updated 6 Jan 2016 , 9:29pm by cabralej

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 6 Jan 2016 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 2

https://sites.google.com/site/weddingandbirthdaycakepictures/round-five-tier-elegant-custom-fondant-wedding-cake-design-pictures

I am working on a cake like the 2nd one shown on the link above.  Should I use black gel or black royal icing for the scroll work?  Would either run in the fridge?  I do place my fondant cakes in a box in the fridge with great success but not sure what to expect with black scroll work.

THank you!

1 reply
cabralej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabralej Posted 6 Jan 2016 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 2

Running will happen if the cake gets exposed to condensation, which is more likely to happen if you pull a cold cake into a warm humid room. If you wrap the box in plastic wrap really well, and let the cake come to temperature for a few hours before opening, you'd reduce the risk greatly.

That being said, I think both are a little prone to bleeding on fondant. I would do a test strip if you have time and see what happens with either coming in and out of the fridge.

It's a different effect, but I would paint the scroll work onto the cake with vodka/food color or use edible writers. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%