Gravity Cake

Decorating By Sophie2312 Updated 5 Jan 2016 , 11:08pm by -K8memphis

Sophie2312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie2312 Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 3

So I consider myself to be a pretty competent baker after 6 years! 

and I've never truly been overwhelmed by an idea.

generally someone tells me what they want and I do it :) 

however ive chosen to do my own wedding cake for June this year

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 3

Well, good luck to you.  I did the centerpiece cakes for my daughters wedding.  I had help delivering all the cakes.  As the MOB i had other responsibilities and wound up getting about 9 hours of sleep over the three days prior to her wedding.

From experience, I'd advise you - don't.

Did you have a question?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 3

and i've done my kids wedding cakes and i on purpose opted out of any other duties as mob or mog -- i also exempted my husband from any additional duties so he could assist me -- it worked and i got good sleep but you are still drained/tired -- really worn out at the reception -- a little brain dead -- y'know how you feel after a big intense delivery -- you're capable of dining out and letting calgon take you away -- but for us it just had to be that way -- me doing cakes was just too ingrained in us as a family so it all worked --

this is kind of funny and clearly pathetic but it illustrates the depth of the brain deadedness -- so my daughter's mother-in-law's name is pat -- she hates to be called patty as I learned when my son-in-law invited me to call her that when we first met just all in fun --

my son's mil's name is patty -- so after i set up the cake at the wedding patty asks me to introduce her to pat -- cool no problem right -- so i go 'pat, this is _____..." and the name 'patty' would not come out of my mouth because my brain got all tangled up because there was no brain juice left -- used it all up on the cake -- don't say 'patty' when talking to pat aghhh -- 

so all that to say you need to have good solid trustworthy soldiers to back you up and the likelihood of some trade offs is high -- like loss of sleep like Leah or loss of brain like me --

i did my own cake in advance and froze it -- it was the dead of winter -- worked great -- someone else delivered it -- 37 years ago way before i had any sense -- it can be done but do it all well in advance and get reliable help and back up plans for back up plans -- hope it's a small wedding -- best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%