Freezing Cream Cheese (Yay Or Nay)

Decorating By LouisNutri Updated 5 Jan 2016 , 5:13am by LouisNutri

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 4:42am
post #1 of 7

Hi. I'm planning to purchase a 4lb block of cream cheese <Swiss Valley brand>. Initially I'm just going to use 4oz for frostjng and use the rest for cheesecake. But I won't make the cheesecake until 1 1/2 months frpm today. Can I freeze the whole block of cream cheese or will it be safe in the refrigerator? Can you also freeze cream cheese frosting? My recipe uses minimal butter and sugar. (225g cc:100g butter:120g sugar)

6 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 4:51am
post #2 of 7

I have had success with freezing cream cheese frosting on cake or in containers ( rewhipped the container frosting before I spread it).  But was not happy with the product when I just froze straight cream cheese.  I believe the sugar helps make the frosting freezable.  Would suggest you make up the leftover cream cheese into frosting and freeze or a cheesecake and freeze.  Just my experience... anyone else have luck with freezing just the cream cheese?

Cali6422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali6422 Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 7

I've had the same experience as sewsugarqeen.  Freezing cream cheese frosting worked fine ... but freezing just cream cheese, was a flop.  It changed the texture and made it unusable.

LouisNutri Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 12:06am
post #4 of 7

@sewsugarqueen  @Cali6422  Are your cream cheese frostings identical to my recipe? I'm afraid that if I have a different recipe (spec. sugar & butter content), it may drastically affect the freezing of the frosting. I do want to plan on making cream cheese frosting in advance if I could, just to save money and time, but don't want to waste the lot of cream cheese if it won't freeze well.

Also, how about using frozen cream cheese (then thawed & let come to room temperature) for cheesecake? If it's not at all possible, what is the longest duration has your cream cheese last in just the refrigerator? How'd you store it?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 12:26am
post #5 of 7

why not just buy a small half pound size for the 4 ounces you need now then buy the big block when you are making the cheesecakes? 8 ounce sizes are available in the u.s. -- i think you are not in the u.s. though if memory serves 

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 3:00am
post #6 of 7

My cream cheese frostings are two types-- one that is half cream cheese frosting and half buttercream frosting ( using part high ratio shortening and part butter) with icing/powdered sugar, vanilla and a dash of milk or cream  or I make a full cream cheese frosting that is softened cream cheese ( usually a 8 oz piece)  2 oz softened butter or shortening, between 800 g to 1 kilo powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla and dash of salt.... will use water or milk to thin it.  With frostings I am a go by taste person.  Does your frosting sound same ratios???

There cream cheese here has an expiry date ... about 6 weeks to 2 months depending when I am able to buy it.  The cream cheese will not last longer than that... it goes moldy.  I always re wrap the cream cheese in plastic wrap and then in a plastic bag and get as much air out of bag as possible.    hope this helps

LouisNutri Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 5:13am
post #7 of 7

@-K8memphis  Yes, there are 8 oz sizes here as well, but now, the batch that the shop (where I buy) received from their supplier didn't give them the cream cheese packaging that could easily be divided into small 8oz blocks. Now the shop is having trouble because they don't want to re-package the 4lb cream cheese and risk miscalculating the blocks. I'm pretty sure they have a weighing scale, but I don't know why they're not just using that to weigh the 8oz from the 4lb.

@sewsugarqueen  My sugar content is less than yours, so I have to try my own recipe and see how that goes. Mine is 225g cream cheese for 100g butter for 120g powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%