Ri Is Going Yellow / Leeching And Its Costing Me Business Help Please

Business By CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Updated 2 Jan 2016 , 2:49pm by -K8memphis

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 9:06am
post #1 of 5

Hi All, I have a cookie business in Sydney Australia and I've had the most stressful Christmas.(given that sooo much of the christmas cookie lines are white cookies)

All of our White icing has decided to start yellowing, sometimes within the day and the others after a couple of days.

Its yellowing through edible images and just the white icing.  HELP

We have tried using the Wilton Whitener but it slows the setting process and it still yellows, so we stopped using that.

We have not changed our cookie recipe or the brands of ingredients we use?  I have no ideas left.

We also tried reducing the amount of egg white powder to no effect.  on some of the paler colours there is also discolouration???

The other thing we have tried is putting a skim layer on all cookies that will have white, and this sometimes works but it takes away any profit as the labour is increased.... means lots of hard work and no pay.  

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?   We do a lot of corporate cookies and the majority of them are white, its going to cost me all of that business :(  

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 11:35am
post #2 of 5

i've never had that happen -- i ice my cookies in white chocolate but you're not alone -- read hereL

Amps.prkns Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 5

Not sure what your recipe is but I always add a bit of cream of tartar. It's supposed to help them not release their water content. I find it helps keep them white. 

costumeczar Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 5

I've seen royal icing separate and the liquid is yellowish, but that's after it sits around for a while. Maybe try beating it longer? What recipe are you using? Have you changed the type of egg whites that you use, or has the manufacturer changed how they make it? that could be the trouble and you'd never know.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

amps.prkns -- good call on the cream of tartar which jogged my memory -- gum arabic is also a royal icing strengthener -- both are inexpensive and either/both should help a lot -- but i wind out the egg whites in the mixer for 20 minutes at least and although i don't use it on cookies i've made tons of ri and never had a yellowing problem --

hope you get this resolved

Quote by @%username% on %date%