Help !white Ri Icing Is Turning Yellow, Like The Butter Is Leeching Through? How Do I Stop This?

Decorating By CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Updated 3 Jan 2016 , 10:07pm by tanyah97

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 3:19am
post #1 of 2

Hi All, I have a cookie business in Sydney Australia and I've had the most stressful Christmas.(given that sooo much of the christmas cookie lines are white cookies)

All of our White icing has decided to start yellowing, sometimes within the day and the others after a couple of days.

Its yellowing through edible images and just the white icing.  HELP

We have tried using the Wilton Whitener but it slows the setting process and it still yellows, so we stopped using that.

We have not changed our cookie recipe or the brands of ingredients we use?  I have no ideas left.

We also tried reducing the amount of egg white powder to no effect.  on some of the paler colours there is also discolouration???

The other thing we have tried is putting a skim layer on all cookies that will have white, and this sometimes works but it takes away any profit as the labour is increased.... means lots of hard work and no pay.  

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?   We do a lot of corporate cookies and the majority of them are white, its going to cost me all of that business :(  

1 reply
tanyah97 Posted 3 Jan 2016 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 2

Hi,

I've had similar issues, especially with white lately (I'm in Brisbane).  From what I can gather this is a very common issue with royal icing and if you google "sugar cookie blotches" or "royal icing blotches" there are a lot of suggestions out there for things to try.  I'm still going through some of the suggestions myself and haven't come up with the right answer yet!  Hopefully that might help though.

Good luck!

Tanya

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%