Wedding Cake Is Gummy! Please Help!

Baking By Cakewalk11 Updated 2 Jan 2016 , 12:57am by GoWildCakes

Cakewalk11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakewalk11 Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 7

I only have a few days till the wedding. I've had pregnancy complications, morning sickness, a cold, a sick child and limited time left to finish baking my cakes. Help! I baked a 12" chocolate cake (actually my husband did most of it since I'm technically on bed rest) and it came out gummy with a gummy flavor (almost like there was enough flour). The recipe was one and a halved, the dry ingredients weren't sifted (our sifter broke) and the pan was about 3/4 full. I baked the same cake yesterday and it turned out fine. Not sure what went wrong today. The recipe is ... 

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup cocoa

1 1/2 cup flour 

1 1/4 tsp salt

1/2 c butter

1 1/2 c sugar

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3 egg yolks/ 1 whole egg 

12 oz sour cream

1/2 c milk

3 T honey

when the recipe was halved I used 1 egg yolk and one whole egg. Maybe that was wrong, but I've tried it before and it seemed to work. It was baked at 325 and the cake tester cake out clean. Any ideas why it would turn out gummy? I'm at a loss and too sick and tired to handle this. :(

6 replies
Cakewalk11 Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 7

Edit: tasted like there WASN'T enough flour

Cakewalk11 Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7

Oh and I forgot to add that the middle sunk shortly before it came out of the oven and pretty much fell apart when it came out of the pan. It may have been too hot but I don't think that explains the gummy flavor. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 7

was your pan filled too full? a 2" pan can do more than half filled with batter but a 3" pan does best with half full -- if yours was 3/4 full that could cause it to fall -- did he stretch out the eggs enough? maybe those egg yolks weren't worked hard enough? did he add the eggs at the proper time?

and last but not least i'm sorry you and your child are not feeling well -- so sweet of your husband to step in and help -- hope you all are feeling better soon

Cakewalk11 Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much! It is very sweet of him. :) It was a 2" pan and he says he whipped the eggs pretty well. Maybe too well? The center tasted somewhat uncooked but the skewer came out clean so I don't know if it was just under baked. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 12:35am
post #6 of 7

i don't know how the instructions read but if the flour was beaten in over two minutes it might make it gummy -- an all purpose flour could work up some gluten, and get bready

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 12:57am
post #7 of 7

I know that in my younger years, when my Mom would give me a baking project, I often mixed up Baking Soda and Baking Powder.  Resulting in gummy, fallen or just plain "off" cakes.  Since your husband made the cake for you, maybe he made this easy mistake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%