Moist Butter/yellow Cake

Baking By vmanbakes Updated 4 Jan 2016 , 12:09am by MBalaska

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

I am good at  making some cakes but one cake I have not had much success with it is yellow/butter cakes. Every time I make a butter cake it comes out dry and I have used different recipes.  I wonder if there is such a thing as a moist butter cake made from scratch.  Does anyone have a good butter cake recipe that comes out moist and not dry? I also wanted to know what causes butter cakes to come out dry and if there is anything that can be done so that any butter cake recipe I use will come out moist.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

hey vman

if you send me a pm on here i can probably get in there and send you a couple tried & true recipes -- i would just send them off right now but i can't get in there -- i get a 500 error -- but if i receive a pm i can usually  get in there once  and should be able to reply

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Jan 2016 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 6

Sylvia Weinstocks butter cake is nice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2016 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 6

sylvia has two butter cake recipes -- my favorite is the classic, older one with sour cream but i use an additional quarter cup of flour and i do not separate the eggs in order to whip the egg whites -- i just add the eggs out of the shell -- you can also eliminate 2-3 yolks without any problem for a more white cake -- be sure you beat the eggs well with the creamed butter & sugar -- this stretches them out and reduces the yellow color --

this makes a wonderful cake that keps very well at room temp -- but does not bounce back completely after it is chilled which limits my choices for using fillings that require refrigeration

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 3 Jan 2016 , 1:05pm
amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 3 Jan 2016 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 6

This recipe came from a pro on craftsy. It was a chocolate cake. I took out the cocoa and and boiling water. Result: best yellow cake ever! Somehow it tasted really buttery despite no butter. But thin pans will cook a crust so make sure you use thick professional pans. I like the one bowl never dry factor about it.

1¾ cups (210 g) all-purpose flour

• 1¾ (395 g) granulated sugar

• 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt

• 1 tablespoon baking soda

• 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk

• ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil

• 2 eggs

• 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 12:09am
post #6 of 6

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2009/cakes/yellow-cake.html#axzz3wEIQtZrR

Sylvia Weinstocks original yellow butter cake with sour cream is a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%