Hand Writing

Decorating By Debbie45628 Updated 1 Jan 2016 , 12:32am by Apti

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 5:50am
post #1 of 6

I tried to do a search on here and keep getting an Error message.  Do those of you that have bought the Tappits like them or have ant suggestions for someone with bad handwriting?

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 6:55am
post #2 of 6

I have Tappits and I love the way they look but they are not the easiest to work with.  I've tried all the different ways to use them and like laying plastic wrap over the fondant before cutting the best.  I am now proficient at writing on cakes but I used to write on wax paper with candy melts until I got what I wanted and then placed them on the cake.  I liked it because I could slide them around until they were just right.  

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 6

I strongly suggest Windsor ClikStix.  These are available at Global Sugar Art

http://www.globalsugarart.com/windsor-clikstix-c-1158.html  

Depending on the types of cakes you decorate, you may be able to get by with one set of all caps in the  Block Upper Case Letter Clikstix Cutter Set by Windsor , Product ID #27004, $12.59

I had the same problem with the piped writing.  Personally, I feel that fondant lettering/numbering on a cake elevates the cake decoration to a much higher level. 

I purchased these ClikStix:

Block Upper case, Lower case, Block numbers

Groovy Upper case, Lower case, Groovy numbers

It is important to watch the how-to videos on the Windsor site!  Do not watch you-tube stuff by other people because a lot of people don't know how to use the ClikStix correctly. 

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 12:12am
post #4 of 6

Apti,  I think I will order these after watching his tutorial and am going to go ahead and get the Mexican Paste....Thanks to both of you...Pastrybaglady, the Tappits seem to have mixed reviews....

Apti Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 12:23am
post #5 of 6

Debbie45628, you won't be sorry.  When I was 2 years into cake decorating, I fell in love with the Funky Tappits and ordered the set.  Used them twice and both times it did not go well.  Four years later and lots of practice behind me, I CAN use tappits (even the Funky ones), but I much prefer the ClikStix. 

I belong to a cake club and was very fortunate to have a demonstration of the ClikStix by two very experienced decorators.  Went right home and ordered those puppies!  The biggest factors are:

thinness of your gumpaste (doesn't have to be Mexican, but that is a lovely medium) AND

the patience to let your thin gumpaste be exposed to the air for 10-20 minutes (depending on your particular climate, humidity, etc.)

Apti Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

Debbie~~THIS is the best video on how to use the ClikStix.  This video is made by the manufacturer's of the product:

http://www.windsorcakecraft.co.uk/how_to_use_clikstix.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%