Help!!! General Business Or Wedding???

Business By CakesbyKelly30 Updated 31 Dec 2015 , 2:21am by costumeczar

CakesbyKelly30 Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 2:00am
post #1 of 2

Hi, I would love some input from true cake people!  I have two opportunities first one is a small ice cream shop that already has equipment that I want to convert to a bakery/creamery.  I have very good potential of a decent amount of  walk in business.  Or I have an opportunity of a blank space/building no equipment but parenting up with a bridal boutique.  It's in the same town but kind of back out of the way and I don't believe I would get a lot of walk in business, but the potential for bridal business could be high.  What is better for the long run? An everything bakery or a mostly bridal bakery? Thanks in advance! 

1 reply
costumeczar Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 2:21am
post #2 of 2

Honestly, I think that the way that the custom cake business is going these days, you have to offer more than just wedding cakes if you're going to make a decent living and your business is going to survive. I just wrote a blog article about where the cake industry is going, and one of the things I think is happening is that people who do wedding cakes and offer other things along with it are going to be more successful financially than people who only do wedding cakes. If you could do a good walk-in business, or even business where you're open a few days a week for counter service, that might make a difference as far as income is concerned. Could you also do wedding cakes out of that space? that would make the most sense to me, everything else being equal, since foot traffic is key to income and impulse purchases.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%