Bride's Packet

Business By jenmat Updated 5 Jan 2016 , 7:13pm by jenmat

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hey all, 

Like most businesses, I follow all of my competitors on FB, and also the local wedding resource pages. I almost never post on the resources pages, because it is usually the brides who are looking for the best deal and I am certainly not that, plus I have a lot of referrals so am not really searching for clients, more just being aware. At one point, a bride was looking for cupcakes and a competitor piped up and gave her website and the bride asked for more info. The competitor said "I'll send you my bride's packet." That sort of intrigued me, since when I get an inquiry I typically send them to my website unless it is a specific question. 

But with the immediate nature of our culture, I know that having something that makes them feel special and immediately served would probably be helpful. 

Does anyone have a packet (digital) that they send to bridal couples? What does it contain? Anyone willing to share it via email? 

TIA! 

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 8

Hmmm...I've heard of photographers etc doing something like this, but I've never seen cake people do it. I'd guess it would be pretty easy to put together. I used to have a little info page for customers on my website, so something like that would work. You could even set it up as a download.

*Last edited by costumeczar on 30 Dec 2015 , 7:21pm
jenmat Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 8

I do have a faqs page, but of course I think with my price point it would be a nice service to provide them a one stop look right in their inbox. 

I'm not shy about the work, just curious what I would put into it. Pricing, flavors, process....just would love to see how other creative people have put it together. 

There are a few higher end photogs in the area who really spoil their clients. REALLY. I can't do that since my ultimate paycheck is much lower than theirs and my client level is usually double or triple theirs, but I would like to provide an easy form of extra service. 

costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 8

What about doing a general informational package with the things you mentioned? What your pricing is, what will be covered in the tasting appointment, how to set up an appointment, flavor list, how to book your services (contract and deposit have to be received etc). It could be something that you send to every bride who sends you a request, just a little more conversational than the website.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for posting this question!! We are approaching our first wedding season as we opened 3 months ago. i will likely gather the same information and create a blog post on our website as a quick reference to send them. I would still like to be personal with our potential clients but I like the idea of having something specifically for brides readily available for them to read at their convenience. I hope others post with some more suggestions :)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 8

I had a good sized packet I emailed to all inquiries (back in the day).  This included menus (I also did catering), price lists, FAQs and helpful hints ("Things to consider when planning an outdoor wedding" and "How to get a marriage license in (our) county.")  While some of the FAQs didn't relate to food, it helped the bride feel like I was taking the extra step to actually "help" her.  I had also created a formula-driven spreadsheet to enable the bride to plug in her headcount, her menu and figure to the dime what her reception was going to cost.  By the time they arrive for their appointment, most of the prelim work was already done.  This enabled my appts to be an hour or less and that included getting the info and taking the order for their cake AND catering.  THe more info they have up front ... the less work for you at the back end.

costumeczar Posted 1 Jan 2016 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 8

Ooh, worksheets are a good idea...

jenmat Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 8

I've been working on a packet the past few days. Will see what I come up with. Trying to make it a glorified brochure- sharing my approach and helping them get a feel for what I offer as well as pricing. Not sure if I will include my menu, since it's a page long. Trying to keep the info under 3 pages with lots of pictures and white space. 

If I could do a worksheet that would be great, but there are so many scenarios that I have no idea how I would approach it. Tiered cakes, kitchen cakes, specialty flavors, gum paste flowers, fondant vrs buttercream....endless size configurations....I think it would drive people crazy! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%