Edible Hair Straighteners - What's Best To Use?

Decorating By Garfield1 Updated 30 Dec 2015 , 10:24pm by -K8memphis

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 10:51am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone. I need some help please. I've been asked to make a hair dresser themed birthday cake. Any ideas what would be best to use for making edible hair straighteners, hairdryer, scissors & large hair clips. Thanks

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 11:49am
post #2 of 9

fondant plus cornstarch

what is a hair straightener? a product?

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 9

They are used to straighten your hair. Not sure if they have a different name in the US.  My sister-in-law is a hairdresser so I've been asked to make a birthday cake based on that. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 9

oh, like a curling iron only it straightens -- duh on me -- sometimes also called a flat iron

costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 9

I'd use modeling chocolate since it's easy to manipulate into weird shapes and you can smooth it out easier than you can with fondant. I did a tool box cake once with chocolate clay tools and they were really easy to make.

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your advice. I'm quite new to cake decorating so appreciate you help. Haven't used modelling chocolate before so looking forward to trying it.

Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 9

Whatever you choose to make it with do yourself a favor and start working on the pieces as soon as possible.  This will save you a lot of last minute stress!  Fondant and modeling chocolate keep a long time.

Garfield1 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for this. I'm off work Friday so will make them then. I need to have the cake finished for Monday but am working all weekend. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 9

just a random though -- if you are making these their real size you might want to use a pretzel rod inside for the straighteners -- if you are making them smaller then no need --

hope all goes very well

Quote by @%username% on %date%