Simple Syrup

Baking By Bobeba Updated 30 Dec 2015 , 11:46am by -K8memphis

Bobeba Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 6

Good afternoon! I have been through various posts on this forum about simple syrup but still have some questions. I was curious how much people put on their cakes and how long it takes to soak in prior to filling with buttercream. Any help would be great. Thanks so much!

5 replies
Riponite Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 6

On genoise and biscuit I use 1/4 - 1/2 cup per layer.  It soaks in pretty immediately, but if you need to move a layer after soaking, it is incredibly fragile and will need moving with a rimless cookie sheet or removable flan ring base.

Bobeba Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you. I am guess that cakes can hold a fair bit of simple syrup. I think I will test one out in the new year and see how it works. Thank you for the response. 

kakeladi Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 6

Don't know what country you are in but for American cakes one just brushes mostly a light coat over the top of your cake.  Certainly don't need even 1/4 c.  but that depends on the size of the cake.  

Riponite Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 6

Not butter cake, but genoise or biscuit.  Rose Levy Berenbaum uses 1/4 cup each side of a 9" layer.  I make the Triple Chocolate cake all the time and that impossible quantity of syrup is absorbed and sweetens the cake perfectly.  A butter cake would be soggy and unpleasant.  Have never used a simple syrup on one, but you could, if it was dry.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 11:46am
post #6 of 6

i use simple syrup all the time on nicely baked creamed cakes, butter cakes, works great

Quote by @%username% on %date%