Fondant Color Mishap

Decorating By Alyssa6363 Updated 31 Dec 2015 , 4:18pm by Alyssa6363

Alyssa6363 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alyssa6363 Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 8

I am needing champagne colored fondant for a cake tomorrow. 

I started with white fondant and added pink, copper and a tad of brown. However, it's too pink. 

Any suggestions on how to decrease the pink without making it too brown? 

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 8

could you take a pinch of that and knead it into a new blob of white? or you could brush pearl dust on it -- test some different colored dusts-- white dust of some kind should blank it out so maybe something like that --

going forward -- when i color fondant i often make a seed amount of the concentrated color i want so i can just take a knob of it and knead it into the big amount  and i always have a seed amount so i can get it right if i need to make more -- a thought for you for going forward --

but champagne is the absence of color so you need to add more white fondant to clear it out -- if i made champagne color (without trying to incorporate a wrong turn) i would use some wilton ivory --

because the lighting wherever this is going will completely change it from the color you have it as in your workshop -- so why bother with getting it exactly exact -- but i mean not pink either -- what i'm trying to say is you want an off white, any off white

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 8

y'know i would ditch the pink stuff altogether unless you want a blush color? 

Alyssa6363 Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 8

Well it is more of a blush-y champagne color. So I did want a pink hue. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 8

i never tried to matchy match a pale color like that myself because the lighting at the venue will blow the whole thing -- but what you're trying to do is remove color so you have to add white fondant -- or brushing it with white pearl or something should work -- if you can do that with your cake design -- if it's 10,000 ruffles that's gonna be hard -- i'd get more fondant

pink and brown pink and copper will come out peachy so you'll have the pinkish in there but it won't be pink it will be pale peach or blush --

i'd toss it (keep it for some other project) or use a bit of it as seed for a big new blob of white -- that's all i can think of other than try dusting it whiter

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 8

Put a little green into it to counteract the pink. That will create more of a brown, then you could add some more white to it to lighten it up. Use a little piece of it to test out whether it will work or not before you bother doing the whole lump.

carissa3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carissa3 Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 8

My background before getting into cakes was painting.  On the Color  wheel the opposite of pink is green.  If you want something to be less pink with out having to up theothercolors you should add a minuscule amount of green.  I know it sounds a bit crazy but I have learned that Color theory works the same in fondant as it does in paints.  Good luck.  I hope you can get the right color. 

Alyssa6363 Posted 31 Dec 2015 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all! Little bit of green was the key. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%