Chocolate Glaze (Ganache)

Decorating By jenniwenni Updated 30 Dec 2015 , 1:12am by mfeagan

jenniwenni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniwenni Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 12:35am
post #1 of 5

I'm going to be using a chocolate glaze for the first time this weekend. I've been watching videos and reading blogs. I've seen the cakes crumb coated then glazed. Also seen them frosted completely, smoothed then glazed. Also seen the glaze poured straight onto the cake. Looking for those of you with experience doing these glazed cakes, wondering which method you prefer.

4 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 3:42am
post #2 of 5

a thin crumb coat before the glaze is nice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 5

if this is a just for fun cake -- divide it into thirds and do all three so you can see which you like best -- but of course if it's for a specific occasion and has to be just so it wouldn't be the best time for discovery 

i would want the sides to be smooth and filled in -- no gaps or pan ridges/differences -- so I would trim the sides and make sure the filling is level with the sides of the cake --

there's no wrong way

ngtienchung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngtienchung Posted 29 Dec 2015 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 5

Give it a try!

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

Be sure to freeze the cake for at least 15 to 20 minutes before you pour the warm ganache over the sides. Make about double what you need and glaze over a cooling rack suspended over a cookie sheet. When you pour, don't pour in one spot or you will have unevenness in your buttercream - move it around your cake as you pour. 

After your cake has been glazed, and you're able to move the cake, you can scrape up your leftover ganache and use it for something else. :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%