Trying To Get An Egg-Free Cake Recipe To Fill A Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan - Help!

Baking By Riponite Updated 28 Dec 2015 , 11:34pm by Riponite

Riponite Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make, specifically, a Giant Cupcake as a smash cake for a photo shoot, and it is to be white cake with bright marbling, and it is to be egg free.  I've been trying with wacky cake/ depression cake, which is milk and egg free, and I've reduced the temperature and used cake flour instead of AP to reduce the gluten, and I cannot get it to rise high enough to fill those tall pans. The edges stop halfway up and then they dome a bit.  Overfilling and underfilling has the same result.

I've seen ideas for replacing eggs in cake mixes with applesauce or replacing all the additions with sodas, but it sounds like these versions are gummier and shorter than cake mixes made properly.  I don't want to use flax egg as the flaxseeds will show up.

Any ideas?  So far the best I can think of is to make a sheet cake, cut pieces to fit in the pans and bed them in cake mixture and rebake to provide the exact shape for me to frost.  She wants buttercream frosting top and bottom and I don't think it's going to look convincingly like the cupcake bottom if I carve it instead. 

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 6

what about baking two cakes  in that pan where you place it off center (off center as in not level) in the oven so it bakes up the side of the pan on one side -- so do that twice and glue those together with icing -- maybe you'll have to bake three or splice a piece in the middle -- you'll have the cupcakes edges but if it's frosted over with buttercream -- idk i've never made one so maybe  it is important but typically those kind of baked in characteristics get lost under the buttercream 

but anyhow that's one potential way to do this

Riponite Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 6

That is a whole new way of doing it!  I had planned to pour warmed frosting over the bottom part, like poured fondant, to make it smooth and shiny looking like a muffin paper, to contrast with the whipped piped top.  So the indentations and sticky-out pattern of the cupcake bottom are quite important.  Currently have bitten the bullet and bought Ener-G egg replacement which I am trying first on a 99c Betty Crocker white mix.  Scratch white cakes have so much egg white in I can't see egg replacement cutting it. 

Plan B is to make two thin wacky cakes and make cupcake cake blue and white striped inside instead of marbled.  Ought to look good on the photos.

I hate this cake pan!  I have spent all my profit on experimenting, but she does want me to do his birthday cake too and who knows where that might lead so might as well get good at egg free!

costumeczar Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

I was going to say to use the Ener-G, but it works better if you use twice the amount of the powder and let it sit in the water longer than it says. Make sure that it's mixed really well, and beat the batter longer than you would normally. When I make vegan cakes I make them from scratch using the ener-g and it works fine, but you do have to handle the batter differently to incorporate more air into it to help the layer rise more.

Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 6

Those gigantic cupcake pans seem like such a great idea, but in the end the cake doesn't taste all that great because the baking time is so long.  I do think you'd be better off baking in typical 2" pans and carving the cake into the right shape.  You could still do marble pattern.  A good tasting white cake without eggs is tough.  I made a banana cake this weekend for my family and I forgot to put the eggs in!  It baked flat but it rose okay and was still soft and the crumb held together really nicely.  I think the bananas worked well as the binder.  I used the recipe from the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook.

Riponite Posted 28 Dec 2015 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 6

Well, tried the white cake with the Ener-G.  The edges rose to only less than an inch from the top, which I was happy with, but after cooling in the tin for ten mins I turned it out, and after dinner I saw it had cracked in half.  So... next attempt, double the Ener-G powder, thanks very much, and cool the cursed thing in the tin.  Luckily it apparently doesn't matter what it tastes like, it's all for the photoshoot.  I am very worried that the base isn't going to support the top, which it seems to be designed to do, without boards and supports.  It can't have internal buttressing for the photoshoot, but the client has to be able to get it there in one piece and the photographer shift it from cakeboard to fancy cake stand that they supply, all colour coordinated and all.  Maybe I should supply it in two parts  rather than attempt to travel it together.  Have a feeling I'm going to end up driving miles to the photoshoot with it.

Do you think that layering and carving egg free cake would be any stronger?

Actually, I should probably try and sell her on a cute 6" stacked blue and white striped cake instead.  I think this is All Doomed..

Quote by @%username% on %date%