Modeling Clay Similar To Gum Paste?

Sugar Work By morphone Updated 24 Dec 2015 , 1:31am by jchuck

morphone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphone Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 9:40am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make a friend some roses that will last much longer than gum paste, but I can't seem to find a clay that is similar to work with. Can you recommend a clay that I will work well for making sugar flowers, one that dried hard and durable, and is still easy to work with?

Thanks!

5 replies
cabralej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabralej Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 10:39am
post #2 of 6

In my experience polymer clays are the most similar to the texture of gumpaste and can be worked in a similar fashion and with the same tools. Delicate petals would have to be baked separately and glued on, but otherwise you can cradle roses in cups of scrunched up aluminum foil as it bakes to help it keep shape. Some bread dough (pieces of bread combined with craft glue into a clay) might have enough spring to compare to gumpaste, but aren't smooth and need to be painted to look like a flower. Porcelain and other stoneware can work as well, but require access to a kiln to fire and glaze. 

Keep in mind that tools/pans that touched polymer clays are no longer fit for use with foods. 

morphone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morphone Posted 23 Dec 2015 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! Can you recommend a polymer clay brand? And there'd be no way to attach the petals before baking?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 1:05am
post #4 of 6

i've never used it but there's something called cold porcelain that is an idea

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 1:27am
post #5 of 6

I use clay craft by Decco. Easy to work with, dries fast, and lasts forever. Can be purchased at Amazon.

Tried to attach a picture, but both my IPad and CC aren't co-operating. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 1:31am
post #6 of 6

I use clay craft by Decco. Easy to work with, dries fast. Can be purchased at Amazon 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%