Meringue Powder Royal Icing Help!

Decorating By sag494 Updated 22 Dec 2015 , 2:50am by tessmilligan

sag494 Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 4:43am
post #1 of 5

For the first time I used meringue powder instead of egg whites like I normally do. I did like the recipe said but it was way too stiff for flooding. So I added water, then sugar, then more get what it's like, until the proper consistency. I then added my color and flooded and it was great. Left them out to air dry. Just came home about 6 hours later and they look crystallized almost and not dry and the color is all streaky. What did I do wrong? I would love to use this, not sure if there is an exact recipe out there like how much water and sugar to add. That's a whole two dozen I have to toss and I have to make more tomorrow but I don't want to waste even more. 

4 replies
sag494 Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 5:01am
post #2 of 5
ypierce82 Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 5

If it looks like the picture, it is because the icing was over mixed and mixed too long. Try mixing for 8 or 9 minutes on low. Also try using a spray bottle filled with water, it helps me to control how much water I am adding to get the consistency that I need. If I have thinned it too much, i dont add more sugar. I use some of the icing that is still thick to thicken it back up. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Dec 2015 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 5

Everything @ypierce82  said!

tessmilligan Posted 22 Dec 2015 , 2:50am
post #5 of 5

You can also try adding your color Before thinning it out. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but the icing seems to keep the right consistency when done in that order. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%