Cricut

Decorating By Jody6761 Updated 20 Dec 2015 , 10:28pm by costumeczar

Jody6761 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody6761 Posted 20 Dec 2015 , 3:11am
post #1 of 4

I have a Cricut explore one, is there any way to use it with fondant or gum paste ?

3 replies
CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 20 Dec 2015 , 4:32am
post #2 of 4

I've done it. You need to get whatever you want to cut in an SVG format (you can use Illustrator or an online converter). Also get a Cricut Cake mat and rub a little shortening on it. Roll your fondant to a 6ish on a pasta roller and experiment with the pressure settings and the deep cut blade. Keeping the fondant cold is imperative. Freeze it before cutting and again after to make it easier to lift shapes from the mat.

flourandsun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourandsun Posted 20 Dec 2015 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 4

I have a Cricut explore and was thinking the same thing. I contacted Cricut and asked them and was told it is not safe for use with food. They used to sell the Cricut Cake that is for fondant/gumpaste use. But I don't think they make them anymore, so they're very expensive. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2015 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 4

I don't know what part of it wouldn't be okay to use for gumpaste, since the only part that would touch it would be the blade sand that's the same as the ones that they use for the Cake Cricut. But I find an exacto is faster and better than the cricut once you take all the trial and error into account.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%