Fondant Cake But With Whipped (Double Cream) Between The Layers And Buttercream For The Outside Crumb Coat

Decorating By pandabread Updated 19 Dec 2015 , 10:27pm by Apti

pandabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pandabread Posted 19 Dec 2015 , 1:40am
post #1 of 3

Dear all,

I have a query about decorating a cake. I want to bake a rainbow cake, but between each layers of the cake, I wanted to put whipped cream (aka double cream) and once all the layers were on, I wanted to put a crumb coat of buttercream and then on top of that apply fondant. The thing is though, I'm not sure if this would would, but I really really want it to work! I would really like some help as how to go about this situation (I need to use whipping cream between each layer of the cake because I'm going to put fruits in them)!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Yours sincerely,

Lover of baking!

2 replies
oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 19 Dec 2015 , 7:52am
post #2 of 3

Though I have refrigerated fondant covered cakes in the past, it has only been to chill them for delivery purposes, and the process to get them to reach room temperature without sweating is a painstaking and timely task.  With that said, whipped cream requires refrigeration, and from my personal point of view, taking the time to cover and decorate it would be too risky of a task, as cream can start growing bacteria in an hour's time, and in addition, melts in less time.  In my mind, fondant covered cakes are more for show, and not dessert purposes, whereas whipped cream cakes are for dessert.  Theoretically, you could do it as long as you have a solid icing dam containing your filling, but in actuality, I would never spend countless hours decorating a fondant covered cake to potentially place my clients or family in harm's way.  Good luck to you!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Dec 2015 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 3

Fruit (especially fresh fruit) and whipped cream and fondant generally do not play well together.  Although it can  be done with baking/decorating experience and knowledge, I strongly suggest you heed the excellent advice above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%