Torting V. Baking Separate Layers

Baking By annagon Updated 18 Dec 2015 , 2:45pm by Jeff_Arnett

annagon Posted 17 Dec 2015 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 4

I usually bake individual layers for my layer cakes.  I'm looking to get some 6" pans to round out my collection, and I'm wondering if I should just go for a 3" tall one instead of two or three 2" ones.  Is there any benefit to torting versus just baking individual layers?  Any changes I would have to make in the baking process?

3 replies
ropalma Posted 17 Dec 2015 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 4

I have 2" pans.  I like my cakes to be 4" tall.  I bake 2 and that gives me the 4".  If I want closer to 3" I put a wax paper collar around the pan so I can fill with more batter.  For a 3" pan you might have to bake a bit longer just like if I overfill my 2" pans.  If you only do one 3" even with torting you will probably not get a 4" height,

annagon Posted 17 Dec 2015 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 4

FWIW, I usually do three layers

Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Dec 2015 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 4

Personally, I prefer to bake three layers...they are thinner, they bake faster and tend not to be dark brown and crusty with drier edges.  I have my recipes/amounts down so that I can bake three layers and then trim off about 1/8 inch with the Agbay so that I end up with three layers each about 1 1/2 inches tall....my finished cakes end up being 5 inches tall.  Though that is only one inch taller than the standard, that little bit of height creates an illusion that the cake is much larger than it really is.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 18 Dec 2015 , 2:45pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%