Buying Recipes From A Business That Is Closing

Business By Katiescakery Updated 22 Dec 2015 , 6:57pm by johnson6ofus

Katiescakery Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 4:35am
post #1 of 9

Hi! I am new to this site, but I need advice.  I was recently contacted by a bakery owner in my town who is moving and taking her business with her.  I am going to be opening up a bakery in the space she is leaving and we are hoping that I can take on the customers she will be leaving behind.  I however specialize in cakes and cookies, but she insists that the pies are essential in this small town to make the business profitable enough.  She has offered to sell me some of her pie recipes so that I can continue selling pies to the community in my own new bakery, but we have no idea how to price the recipes? Any suggestions??

8 replies
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 9

$100 sounds fair for all of them -- or $25 a pop for each one and purchase 4 --

i mean the pies were essential to her business plan -- it'll be nice to have them but it's your business now -- 

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 9

I'd find out who she has been offering them to as well.  It may be good for you to have access to them...but less good if she has sold them to every other baker in the area too...  Sorry if that sounds cynical!  

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 9

good call, snowflakebunny

Pastrybaglady Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9

I guess my question is whether her pies are really all that great?  Have you ever had any?  There are tons of pie recipes out there for free.  Unless hers are really special I wouldn't bother.

annagon Posted 17 Dec 2015 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 9

Yeah, if we're talking apple, peach, cherry and some sort of crisp, you're better off just using your own recipes.  Now if they had something really exciting or something that was a town favorite, by all means, check them out.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2015 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9

my first impression was just that she's just trying to make some money on you -- but i didn't go there i just answered your question -- i mean if she has 4 signature recipes that the town can't live without -- that'd be quite a lot -- if you wanna be a nice person buy 'em and try 'em -- it seems like a ploy for moolah -- idk -- that's why i capped it at a hunnerd bucks -- $100 is respectable but ...

Katiescakery Posted 17 Dec 2015 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all for your responses! And I'm agreeing with the thoughts at this point that I can find my own recipes and this is my business, not hers. I don't want to replicate, I want my customers to like my stuff! There are enough expenses opening a business, I really don't need to add that one.blush.png

johnson6ofus Posted 22 Dec 2015 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 9

I personally, would pay to have her INVENTORY list. Like how many pies of each flavor she made, and when she sold out of them. Regulars will come in and buy, but it will be YOUR flavor that gets them to return. People are creatures of habit, so knowing that she sells 10 peach pies every day would be very helpful, IMHO.

*Last edited by johnson6ofus on 22 Dec 2015 , 6:57pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%