Standing Diamond Shaped Cake

Decorating By strawberry-shortcake Updated 15 Dec 2015 , 3:02pm by -K8memphis

strawberry-shortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry-shortcake Posted 14 Dec 2015 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hi beloved co-decorators,

I'm in need of some advice, since I don't know how to tackle this one and don't know where to look.

I need to create a logo cake, their design is quite architecturally unique and I'd love to make it in 3D. standing up, on it's pointy point. But have no idea how to structure this. I was thinking bottom cake board with a dowel drilled in it, with a wooden "level" attached halfway where the cake is widest (but how??), make the top out of cake and the bottom out of rice crispie treat stuffy. But I am in desperate need of other solutions since I don't think it will hold during transportation. I want it to be about 25-30 cm high.

Looking forward to your brilliant minded ideas!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2015 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

cafeteria style take it or leave it brainstorm type ideas (i'm on the phone on hold big time and got in the wrong queue so on hold again :)

you could use foam for the lower level and make it into a 'cake stand' but decorate it all as if it were one cake -- assuming you will have enough servings this way --

you could also make it laying down-ish -- where you... -- ok just follow me for a second -- so make a diamond shaped cake all laying down -- then cut it at a slight diagonal all the way through so it is in two large pieces from one side to the other -- take that cut piece and turn it upside down and flip it around where the thicker pieces are together -- sandwich it onto the bottom piece -- so it's now a raised up diamond shape where you placed the thick ends together and the thin ends together -- easy to see and read and deliver -- so one diamond point is higher and the opposite diamond point is lower -- easier to see than say --

but if you do the 'stand on it's pointy end' cake -- and it's gonna be 12" tall -- i think i would dowel any 6" tall sections of cake -- even though i don't think it would be in danger of falling -- i would want to dowel it to keep it from sinking in too much from the application/weight of the fondant -- but then lots of peeps use ganache under the fondant so that's another way to go and probably reduces the smushing down of the point there -- idk -- i would still dowel it myself -- never been upset about playing it safe --

but the rice krispie treat thing would work great for the lower half -- i think i would lay it down to fondant it --

oh i gotta great stand for you... brb...

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 14 Dec 2015 , 6:09pm
-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2015 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 5

well no maybe not so great

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-plates.aspx

because the smallest plate is 6" so you would have to modify it and who knows how it would do if you tried to cut it -- might crack --

but i have often used this set up for stuff like this where you buy a large plate for the bottom and sandwich inside two foam core boards then whatever height you want the tube that you can find here

http://www.efavormart.com/acrylic-cake-stand-tubes.aspx

so you've got an awesome structure -- just secure a foamcore board cut to size on the plate and voila -- but 6" wide is probably too wide -- unless you can find a smaller plate... see if i can find one...

naw i can't find one smaller than 6"

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 14 Dec 2015 , 6:09pm
strawberry-shortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry-shortcake Posted 15 Dec 2015 , 10:06am
post #4 of 5

Wow thank you for taking so much time to answer!

I think you understood what I meant even without the picture upload fail. Your discription on how to make it less 3D-y without making it 2D was also very helpful.

Just to show you guys what it is I'd like to bake here are the picture links. Hope that works then.

1) http://www.condept.nl/videos/screens/poeder.jpg

2) https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/527247550844116992/w5u-vr21.jpeg

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2015 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 5

oh oh oh you meant a faceted diamond shape -- i was thinking baseball diamond shape aka elongated square -- 

oh and since i finally caught on -- i would recommend either using dried fondant panels (that you will need to use a microplane to miter down the edges so they fit snug) or easier would be to use modelling chocolate aka candy clay because it is so much more user friendly and you can get a better edge and it responds to the heat in your fingers to smooth out booboos --

or you could draw the facets on with a pale blue edible ink marker or pipe them on -- you could use spaghetti/linguine dipped in blue chocolate -- or pretty blue skinny sparkling ribbon -- i'd go with a rice krispies treat point on top because fondant will pull the point out --

you could use cookie panels too and again microplane the edges so they miter nice

would love to see your work when you're finished

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%