I Had A Bride Ask Me For Her Wedding Cake For Today, Even Though We Never Finalized The Order

Decorating By deebakescakes Updated 16 Dec 2015 , 6:31pm by cakedout

deebakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deebakescakes Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 5

This morning I received an email from a bride asking me how to pay for her wedding cake for her wedding this evening. The thing is we never finalized an order. I had asked her what flavor cakes she had wanted back in November (this year) and she never responded. I also require a 50% deposit so of course I wouldn't of made the cake without that either. (She knows about the deposit) 

I of course apologized and explained that I didn't have a cake to give her. She didn't seem upset but I know she has to be. 

I don't push clients when placing orders, if they stop responding I assume they've decided to look elsewhere. Which is what normally happens.

How many of you has this happened to?? 

What advice can you give me?

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Dec 2015 , 12:41am
post #2 of 5

You don't need advice because you did nothing wrong!  If she never even told you what kind of cake she wanted how could she expect you to make her one!  No money and no communication means no cake.  I kind of doubt she's even really getting married. The fact she wasn't upset points in that direction.  File this one under bizarre bride stories and move on.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Dec 2015 , 4:03am
post #3 of 5

You didn't do anything wrong, of course. I had one woman not send her contract back and she called me a few days  before the wedding to check on her cake. I vaguely remembered her, and ended up doing the cake for her after she panicked. Then she left me a bad review about 10 months later because she said the cake wasn't what she had first ordered! What a nerve. I responded on the review that I remembered that she hadn't sent her contract in and that due to that I had to do a last-minute version of her original design, but sine it was all so long ago I didn't remember the details, which was true. Just be on the lookout for the bride who didn't hire you to post a review somewhere, and respond that she didn't hire you if she does! People are crazy.

deebakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deebakescakes Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 5

Yikes!! I'm sorry she left you a nasty review. That makes me cringe! I'm hoping she doesn't do that to me. I know the person, and I would assume she understands that nobody can make a cake without cake flavors or even a venue/time to deliver the cake. And since she's ordered from me before I'll find it hard to believe she didn't know she had to pay a deposit. 

I felt bad of course at first but then I realized there was nothing I could do about the situation but let it go and hope she doesn't get review revenge. 

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 5

Wow- glad to hear that I am not the only one that this has happened to!  Many years ago when I was still doing cakes, I had a consult during the summer for a bride having a New Year's wedding.  She never sent back the contract and no deposit so I assumed that she went elsewhere.  I removed her from my 'pending' file.

Fast forward to the week before Christmas...this bride calls up to confirm her wedding cake order!  Huh?  Well, several days later she called back in a panic because no one else was available to do her cake...so I caved and did it for her.  :/

Anywho- put it in your 'crazy bride stories' file.   ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%