Help With Icing Questions For Grandkids, Etc.

Decorating By felin Updated 15 Dec 2015 , 4:57pm by johnson6ofus

felin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felin Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 7
Hi all,

Want to have grandkids and nieces/nephews over for a cookie decorating day where I will prep in advance by baking cookies and lining/flooding so that they can just enjoy decorating and have 3 questions:

1. How far in advance can I flood cookies before they should be decorated?
2. How long will icing last before using (for kids) - (frig or counter?)
3. Should I use plastic icing bottles for everyone to use or should I use those only for flooding? Not sure as I've only done this once ever myself. Gotta get stuff bought soon! Hoping to get all online.

Thanks so much in advance!! Gettin excited for this fun day!

6 replies
felin Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 7

Oh yes, also, should I line with one consistency and flood with another meaning I'd have 2 bottles I'd be working with? Totally fine with me, just wanna know. :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 7

Uuuuuggg.   Had a long answer all typed and it would not reconize my login ;(  Then I get a 502 bad gateway notice :(

Anyway here's a condensed version.   I would use decorator bags or parchemnt cones instead of plastic bottles (unless y ou already have the bottles. )  A lot will depend on the age of the kids.   Close the tops of the bags with tight rubberbands.  Cookies can be flooded a couple of days in advance.  Royal Icing does not last more than about 24-36 hrs and even then probably will need to be rewhipped just before using.   But.........do NOT cover with a wet cloth as most people/recipes tell you.  This will cause the icing to weep/go soft :(  Instead, lay plastic wrap right on the icing, then another layer covering the whole bowl.  Keep the filled bags  in an air tight plastic container  at all times when not in use.   Do not refrigerate royal icing.

felin Posted 12 Dec 2015 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Kakeladi!,

Sorry you lost what you'd originally typed. How frustrating!

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

My 3 granddaughters are 2, 3 and 4 yrs of age. The 2 yr old will need help, but the other 2 are very independant and will want to do it themselves. Or as my cute nephew used to say when he was about 3, "I can do it all my byself". ha ha

My nieces and nephews are 3, 8, 11, 14, 17, 18, and 20 yrs of age and the rest will be adults.

Guess I was thinking of the little ones and that the bottles would be easier for them to manage but maybe not??

Thanks again!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 13 Dec 2015 , 1:49am
post #5 of 7

For the younger kids, you could just let them "paint" their cookie. I have a 1.5 year old and well, he loves squeezing bottles. Can't imagine him doing anything but maybe finger painting, ha ha. I remember someone on here made dinosaur cookies with a paint palette on them so the kids just painted the already lined/flooded cookie.

Edited to add: I hear those edible markers are great for coloring too :)

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 13 Dec 2015 , 1:55am
felin Posted 14 Dec 2015 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 7

Banana,

Thank you so much! Great idea! I like it!

Blessings!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Dec 2015 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 7

and don't forget the sprinkles! Small kids look for stuff ti stick on. I even premade some items with royal icing (dries ahead of time) for the kids to stick on (eat?).LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%