Caramel Icing Recipe

Baking By gigiel Updated 8 Dec 2015 , 1:05pm by gigiel

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 3:40am
post #1 of 7

Needing top notch caramel icing recipe, to use as either a filling or overall icing. (Hoping for icing recipe, but would be fine w/filling recipe.) I have tried several & not thrilled with the ones I've tried. The ones I've tried have included scratch caramel, bought caramel 'sauce' (as in Ice cream sauce) and a cream cheese caramel icing. I'll try anything at this point. Thanks!

*Last edited by gigiel on 8 Dec 2015 , 3:43am
6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 4:41am
post #2 of 7

Have you tried dulce de leche? It's easy to make (just takes time boiling down) and I use it as filling or combined with swiss meringue buttercream  (but American bc works too) as a frosting. Can send you the recipe if you need.

SweetDesire88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDesire88 Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 4:47am
post #3 of 7

I know how you feel, trying to find a good recipe and nothing seems to work. 

I only use whipping cream for my cakes and for my "caramel" filling I use cajeta (dulce de leche of goat milk).  

I use 1 TBSP of cajeta for every cup of whipping cream.  Just to give you a nice flavor. 

Sometimes there is no need to get extra fancy with flavors.  

I hope this helps you. 

gigiel Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 5:14am
post #4 of 7

Julia, sounds great! Please send. Thank you SweetDesire88!

Has anyone heard of using condensed milk (I think I read somewhere that you can put the unopened can of condensed milk in crockpot for what sounded like a long time and when you open it, voila caramel (sauce?)  Has anyone tried this, more importantly, would you recommend it if you've tried it as the caramel 'flavor' to icing base?

Thanks again Julia & SweetDesire.

SweetDesire88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDesire88 Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 6:10am
post #5 of 7

Nothing hurts with giving it a try but I have seen in the Hispanic aisle dulce de leche. I haven't  tired it personally but I do use the sweet condensed milk. Nestle makes it but in the Hispanic community is highly known as lechera. 

When adding the sauce to the icing add little amounts in case it affects the icing consistency. 

Just in case you need this information. The difference between dulce de leche are caramel is that, dulce de leche is made with milk and sugar and caramel is made with water and sugar. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 10:32am
post #6 of 7

Just sent you a pm gigged. I forgot to mention that I always make a bigger batch and freeze it in portions. Works fine. Just don't open box/bag until defrosted.

gigiel Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 7

heart_eyes.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%