Piping Chocolate

Decorating By katiebug89 Updated 7 Dec 2015 , 12:52pm by -K8memphis

katiebug89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug89 Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 4:43am
post #1 of 2

Hello Everyone,

My son's sixth birthday is on the 9th, in three days, instead of sticking to the things I know like fondant (he isn't a big fan) and buttercream decorations I decided to try my hand at piping chocolate decorations.

I have piped these same comic book themed "action bubbles" FIVE times. Every time I pick one up they just fall to pieces, I'm about at my wits end and thinking about throwing in the towel. I'm using Wilton pre-colored melts (I didn't feel like trying to color my own chocolate, last time it was a seized up mess), I melt them in the microwave with 30 second bursts, stir until smooth, and put it in the piping bag. Pipe it on to parchment paper, they look prefect, let them sit for at least an hour a half (all the way up to overnight last night) and as soon as I take them off the paper they're falling apart.

Am I doing something wrong or is there some kind of tip/trick I should know about?

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 2

the only thing i can think of is that you are cooking your chocolate -- chocolate will just plain m.e.l.t. at about 90-100 degrees -- you just get it warm in the micro and let it melt by itself kwim -- something like that could explain why it has no integrity later -- but i've piped choco in teensy snowflake design and it will hold great -- maybe that will help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%