Refrigerated Cake Batter.

Baking By hootstoots21 Updated 8 Dec 2015 , 6:43pm by hootstoots21

hootstoots21 Posted 6 Dec 2015 , 11:50am
post #1 of 10

Hi all,have just put some cake batter in the fridge to use in a couple of days as I made way too much!

what I would like to know is,do I need to give it a quick mix again before I put it in the tin to be baked?

Thanks for the advice.blush.png

9 replies
AAtKT Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 12:39am
post #2 of 10

I freeze extra cake batter... It comes out okay... If I use it for cupcakes I even scoop it right out into the papers frozen and all...

Not sure about several days of refrigeration though... 

Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 2:03am
post #3 of 10

Please let us know how it comes out!

hootstoots21 Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 10

I will keep you posted! 

CatherineGeorge Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 10

I would think that it would depend on how the recipe is leavened, but actually in any case I would think remixing would be a mistake. Any volume you had going would be gone and you could have trouble with cold ingredients and breaking emulsions.

annakat444 Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 10

I refrigerated cake batter overnight once and the next day it wouldn't bake - once your leavening ingredients become wet they're activated and will lose their leavening properties if not used soon after (that was my experience with that recipe at least). You'd do better to go ahead and bake the extra batter and freeze the extra cakes.

hootstoots21 Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 10

It worked!!!! Can't believe it....looks just like normal,tastes just like normal....I am one happy baker! Thanks for all the input.

just to confirm I did not remix the batter and I used it straight from the fridge to the oven.

i'm so pleased

Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 10

Hey, congrats!  What kind of cake was it?  Butter or oil?  Baking soda or baking powder?  Inquiring minds need to know!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 10

good for you -- when i try that it never works for me -- so i just bake off the extra bits -- i have pans from 2" on up -- it's gotta fit in something :)

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 8 Dec 2015 , 6:37pm
hootstoots21 Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 10

It was a madiera but vanilla seeds rather than lemon,because she didn't want it lemony.Also stork and a mixture of self raising and plain flours but no extra raising agents other than the eggs.

maybe I just got lucky,but I'll take that! Xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%