Crumbling Buttercream

Decorating By Annelyse801 Updated 20 Dec 2015 , 12:11am by shaloop

Annelyse801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annelyse801 Posted 5 Dec 2015 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about my buttercream icing always crumbles after I placed my cakes/cupcakes in the fridge. I've tried several recipes and they all seemed to crumble after they set in the fridge. :( any tips or this is normal? I just bake occasionally for friends and family events, so I don't have a lot of experience, I'm self thought watching videos, reading blogs, etc. Thank you :)

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2015 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 7

define 'crumble'

and what is in your recipe?

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 6 Dec 2015 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 7

Do you mean the surface crust cracking, or something else?

Often crusting icing will crack when you pick it up to move it, if the board it's on isn't sturdy enough and flexes, bending the cake.

Annelyse801 Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 3:09am
post #4 of 7

when you "cut" the cake or touch it a little bit, the icing seems too dry and just falls apart.

This is my butter cream recipe I found at pinterest.

1 cup butter flavored shortening, room temperature

1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)

2lbs powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2  teaspoons vanilla extract

6 oz heavy wihpping cream

I cream the shortening and butter first, then I add one cup of powdered sugar at the time. then I add the salt, vanilla and WC.

Annelyse801 Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 3:14am
post #5 of 7

Magda,

Yes, they crack or sometimes, when they cut the cakes they fall apart, like something super dry! When I'm mixing it looks amazing, so velvety, but after is horrible and is embarrassing(still taste good though). I was wondering if that's normal, or if anyone here can share their knowledge and tips. As I said before, I don't do anything professional, just for fun/hobbies. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 7

That's a normal recipe, so maybe the air in your fridge is just super dry and is sucking out the moisture in  the icing?? Very strange. 

Try adding the cream to the fats after you cream them, then once it's incorporated, add the sugar. That's how I do it and I don't know if it will make any difference at all, but it's worth a try. I also heat the cream so that it's warm when it goes in the fats (just in the microwave, not on the stove.)

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 20 Dec 2015 , 12:11am
post #7 of 7

If you use that much heavy cream and then whip it, it  incorporates a lot of air, making it fragile once cold. I'd only use 1/4 - 1/3 cup heavy cream and once smooth and fluffy,  stop mixing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%