Isomalt

Sugar Work By islandgirl808 Updated 10 Dec 2015 , 6:27pm by -K8memphis

islandgirl808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl808 Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make sugar gems for colleagues as a Christmas gift but want to add some sort of liquor like Vodka or Brandy.

Is it safe to add alcohol to Isomalt?

Can I use a hard silicon mold for hot sugar?

Does anyone know of any good recipe?

Aloha

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Dec 2015 , 3:41am
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't make isomalt jewels to be eaten as candy, too much of it will give you diarrhea, to be blunt. If you're going to make candy use real sugar, it's a little more finicky, but you can find recipes for lollipops online that use corn syrup and that prevents the sugar from being as likely to crystallize. I guess you could add liquor to them in place of the water that you use to start when you first melt the sugar, but it might take some experimenting to figure out how much and how it affects the hardness of the candy after it cools off.

islandgirl808 Posted 4 Dec 2015 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the important information... certainly don't want to send colleagues to the restroom LOL!!

I will do my research on corn syrup, thanks so much

Aloha!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Dec 2015 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 6

With the high heat at which sugar is cooked, obviously the alcohol will burn off.  I guess it may leave some of the flavor of the product behind, but in some cases, that may not be pleasing.  I think you might get better flavoring using liquor extracts:

https://www.homebrewery.com/Other/Liquor-Extracts

islandgirl808 Posted 10 Dec 2015 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

I want to make either a jolly rancher gummy with alcohol or hard candy with alcohol... any recipe anyone can share?

Aloha

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Dec 2015 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 6

i posted on here & it disappeared? twice

anyhow i'd say to check out lorann oils they have the goods on all this type of candy making -- i haven't personally used this recipe but it's a good place to start and i have used other recipes from this site and they worked out great -- peruse the whole site though lots of good things including rum, brandy, wine flavored oils -- and these are strong flavors use by the drop --

http://www.lorannoils.com/recipes/hard-candy-recipe

best to you

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 10 Dec 2015 , 6:27pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%