Gingerbread House Decoration

Decorating By Crazy2day Updated 4 Dec 2015 , 2:34am by Crazy2day

Crazy2day Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy2day Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 5

I am only making my second ever gingerbread house.  I'm doing a barn.  Has anyone every "painted" on actual gingerbread to make it look like boards of wood?  I kept the natural brown because I wanted it to be obvious that it was gingerbread and now I wish I had stamped it or something to make it stand out more.  Any suggestions?  I didn't want to cover the whole thing in fondant. (did that on the first one.  Don't see the point of making it out of gingerbread if it looks like a cake..lol)  I'm just wondering if it's doable.  I used to decorate cakes and was a tole painter.  Just thinking if I can somehow combine those to make this happen.  I know I could do it on frosting/fondant, just wondering if it's possible on bare gingerbread.

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 1:50am
post #2 of 5

You can paint on it with food coloring or watered down royal icing. Use a color that's darker than the gingerbread color, then you can use some lighter for accent color.

Crazy2day Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 5

I was worried about bleeding but the watered down royal icing sounds like a good idea.  Thanks.  I will give that a try. :)

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 5

Try just painting on grain in light stripes and don't forget the knot holes. Sounds like fun..

Crazy2day Posted 4 Dec 2015 , 2:34am
post #5 of 5

OHMYGOSH!!!  Thank you,  Costumeczar!!  I did the thinned royal frosting.  I was hoping to do a dry brush or something like that to do the boards, no go.  However, it made my barn look so old and rustic looking.  It wasn't at all what I was going for but I LOVE it!!  Will post pics when done :)))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%