Help With Snowflakes!!!

Decorating By Cakeartist5523 Updated 2 Dec 2015 , 4:29pm by johnson6ofus

Cakeartist5523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeartist5523 Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 5:27am
post #1 of 4

Can anyone help me with perfecting these snowflakes?  Im not sure what I should use to make them, fondant, gumpaste, combo?  When I have tried to make them, they do not cut clean at all.  I used the plunger snowflake cutters and they constantly got stuck inside!  I am beyond frustrated, please give me some advice.  Thank you so much!!!

P.s. with buttercream soften these hardened snowflakes??

565e812dc7e80.png

3 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 6:23am
post #2 of 4

To use plunger, you need the gumpaste to dry a bit first. You WILL waste gumpaste because the dry will not reroll BUT you will get nicer snowflakes. 

I roll it out, cut into into strips for less waste (Keep/reroll these scraps) and let it dry 5-10 minutes before I hit it with the plunger. You should be able to move the gumpaste on the slightly dusted surface, with cutter still in place to help the cutting process. 

VERY easy once you get the feel for it.

Tracing patterns with royal or melted chocolate also makes nice results.

Cakeartist5523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeartist5523 Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 6:53am
post #3 of 4

Okay that makes sense.  I am gonna give it a go!! Thank you so much!  One more question will the gumpaste soften in the buttercream? I thought i read someplace not to mix the two???

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, it will soften, but over time. 2-3 days? It depends on your conditions and recipes. 

You will have a bunch of "test" scrapes when you make these, dry some larger pieces and see. Dry some, blob some of your buttercream on a plate and stick a few of these dry, bigger pieces in and see how long it takes for them to "wilt". 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%