Making Fondant Mermaid Scales Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By Meridae Updated 29 Nov 2015 , 7:27pm by -K8memphis

Meridae Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 9:03am
post #1 of 2

Hi all, turns out I don't have a full day on Saturday to decorate my mermaid cake like I'd planned, and I'll need to have it all finished on Friday night (after a full day at my day job!)

What I'm wondering is, could I cut out the small fondant circles that will make up the scales, ahead of time and somehow stop them drying out? I thought if I put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, laid them out all flat and in a single layer, then covered over with cling film, pressing it down as tightly as I could without ruining the circles, that might work? Any other ideas? It would be much easier if I could make the scales a few days in advance, and then just focus on the decorating of the cake on Friday night.

(My current plan is make the fondant decorations that need to harden tomorrow, make the cakes on Wednesday night so they can be refridgerated overnight, make the buttercream crumb coat on Thursday night and put it on the cakes, again in the fridge overnight, then apply fondant and fondant decorations on Friday night. And hope the weather stays consistent - we've had HOT then COLD AND WET then HOT all in a week here at the moment).

All advice gratefully accepted - this is my biggest cake yet!

1 reply
-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 2

i would test it out in advance -- just as you've written it and i'd use a well wrung out but wet clean kitchen towel on top to ensure the plastic stays put -- or that press & seal plastic wrap works great without the towel --

and count on the weather for nothing -- ensure climate control all the way to the venue is how i do it -- enclose the cake in a corrugated cardboard box -- add in ice packs if necessary -- and i always deliver cold cake --

but all that to say -- it's just not that hard to roll out a big sheet of fondant and cut out the circles and toss them in a plastic tub or keep them covered as you go even if it is already friday night -- just a ton of circles would go real fast don't you think

Quote by @%username% on %date%