Friday Night Cake Club For 11/27/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 30 Nov 2015 , 5:05am by OHaresTstyTrts

catlharper Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 4:09am
post #1 of 14

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their weeks, photos of their work, ask for help if they need it or help if they can! 

13 replies
catlharper Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 4:16am
post #2 of 14

To those of you in the US...HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I hope you have had a lovely week and a wonderful holiday. My younger daughter had us all over for turkey and all the trimmings before I had to go off to work so it was great! Not as crazy at work as I thought it would be (I work for Target) last night and I went in again for a short shift today (Black Friday) and it wasn't crazy then either. Maybe people are wising up to the fact that the "deals" will keep on coming and there's no need to rush out. The only baking I did was to make pumpkin pies from scratch. I do the whole thing...roast the pumpkin, make the puree, then make the pies and top them with real whipped cream that I make fresh. A whole other level of yumminess from what you get from any grocery store. 

This weekend we move on from Fall to Christmas. The lights are partially up outside and the inside is done with the exception of our tree. We'll do that on Sunday as a family affair. When do YOU start decorating or do you even celebrate?

Marian64 Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 5:50am
post #3 of 14

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Your pumpkin pies sound delicious. I baked pies also. Pumpkin (Libby's) and pecan pies. Now need to start my Christmas cookies. 

I didn't go out today and thought about putting the tree up, but decided I needed to just unwind from  yesterday. Will probably get it all out and start tomorrow at least the inside. It is raining this weekend so the outside will have to wait.

catlharper Posted 28 Nov 2015 , 6:00am
post #4 of 14

@Marian64  Ooooo Pecan Pies! YUM! I do Christmas "bark" instead of cookies. Cookies have just never been my "thing". We are having cake for our Christmas dinner tho...thinking of doing two small designs...maybe Santa's hat for one table and a glittering pine cone for the other? Just enough to feed 6 people each.

Years ago we picked Thanksgiving weekend as our kick off to Christmas because my hubby was always guaranteed to have it off...enough time to do the work. Now, with me working retail, we are taking the time where we can get it...a little here, a little there. But before I headed off to work I put in a turkey and then took it out to rest when I got home and make some of the trimmings and then sat my butt down and haven't moved since ! LOL! So I totally understand the "unwind" thing.

SweetShop5 Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 2:25am
post #5 of 14

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US! I'm in Canada so our Thanksgiving was awhile ago haha

Only 1 cake for me this this week, since I did a bake sale today grinning.png It went quite well, I'm happy with the way it turned out. I made some cupcakes, cake pops, rice krispies, chocolate covered pretzels and brownies. I have another bake sale booked for next week so hopefully it will go well too relaxed.png

Here's the wedding cake we made:

Webake2gether Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 3:04am
post #6 of 14

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!! We had a wonderful day. We had quite a few orders and we were really busy but it was really good. Here are few we did in the last week.

We also made red velvet fudge, cherry pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie, a birthday cake (sheet cake) and Christmas themed sugar cookies all for orders. 

We went to the tree farm today and got our Christmas tree so we've officially kicked off our Christmas season.  This is our family tradition we've done it since my oldest son was 3 weeks old so this was our 8th year. We love it and it's always a great time!! Hope you all have a great week!!

catlharper Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 3:44am
post #7 of 14

@SweetShop5  The wedding cake is beautiful! I prefer the simple elegant designs rather than super ornate so this was my cuppa tea!

@Webake2gether  I love both cakes but the turkey makes me giggle! LOL! Sounds like you had a truly wonderful week! We go get our trees tomorrow and, yes, it really makes me feel like the holidays are really starting after that's set up!

julia1812 Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 4:42am
post #8 of 14

Hey everyone.  Happy Thanksgiving! We don't celebrate it but I know it's big in the US. 

I still can't attach pictures so I just came on here to vent a bit, lol.

Was contacted by a mother to make 2 cakes for her twins. With edible images that she bought in Dubai. My stomach told me know, but my head said yes unfortunately. Turned out I should have listened to my stomach! She brought the edible images over the day before cakes were due (I wasn't there) and I could see she OPEN the seal!!! We are in the tropics, so you can imagine how soft and brittle they were. I spend ages trying to dry them with a hairdresser, freezing them, NOTHING worked. I could see she tried to get them off herself as the edges were all crumbly  and pieces missing. What a mess! I contacted her and she admitted she tried herself and couldn't figure how to so she thought she'd rather leave it up to me... Thanks for that! What are people thinking? 

catlharper Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 5:03am
post #9 of 14

@julia1812  SIGH. I have had that happen with a wedding. Bride said her Aunt was doing the flowers for the reception as well as the cake and arrived with a bunch of dusty silk flowers for the cake! I had 20 minutes to wash, dry and wrap those horrid things before the reception was due to begin. UGH. I, to this day, only show the photos of the cake before the flowers were added. I'll never understand what people are thinking!

Helinka Posted 29 Nov 2015 , 5:38am
post #10 of 14

SweetShop5 Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 12:01am
post #11 of 14

@catlharper  Thank you! It's good to have a simple cake once in awhile since its less work!

We also just finished a cake for a Christmas cake contest relaxed.png

Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 4:31am
post #12 of 14

@SweetShop5  LOVE your cake!  I'm sure you'll do well in the contest.  Best wishes!

Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 4:31am
post #13 of 14

@SweetShop5  LOVE your cake!  I'm sure you'll do well in the contest.  Best wishes!

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 30 Nov 2015 , 5:05am
post #14 of 14

love all these cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%