How Do I Create A Stand Up House?

Decorating By vegecaker Updated 27 Nov 2015 , 10:05pm by bubs1stbirthday

vegecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vegecaker Posted 26 Nov 2015 , 3:17am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone! I've been assigned the task of making a housewarming cake for some friends... I have an idea in mind but not sure how to make it happen! I want to have an elegant looking black house standing on the cake... Problem is, will it stand?! From what I'm seeing in pctures, it's a flat rolled piece of gumpaste cut out in the shape... But is it actually as simple as that? 

This is the picture i looked at 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=housewarming+cake+design&rlz=1CDGOYI_enCA590CA590&hl=en-GB&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7lZSHkK3JAhWBS4gKHXktCbEQ_AUICCgB#imgrc=tWB-7PvFURBgWM%3A

2 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 Nov 2015 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 3

If you use gumpaste, it will stand up as long as it is dry.  You can also support it with bamboo skewers or toothpicks. Good luck!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Nov 2015 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 3

I would probably do this in stages. 1st I would cut out the house shape in fairly thick fondant mixed with tylose or gumpaste and allow it to dry.

Second I would cut out a second house shape, lay bamboo skewers on it - trim them as required - and then lay the other identical house shape over the top so the skewers are between the two (use an edible glue to stick them together).

Once you are happy that they are in the right position etc trim up any bits that have come out of the original shape when you have been sticking them together. I would allow them to dry for at 24hours then flip it over gently and allow the other side to dry - support the skewers while it is drying solid. Roll them out on baking paper so that you wont need to move the shapes until they are dry.

When it comes time to put the house on the cake I would actually use a seperate skewer to put the holes in (use the skewers in the house to mark where you want the skewers to go first). Make the holes with a seperate skewer then insert the ones from your house.

If you will be travelling with it I would suggest using straws inserted into the cake to hold the skewers in place - insert straws, remove them and clear the cake from them if need be, re insert and fill them with chocolate (cheap compound chocolate will set up the best) using a piping bag with a tiny tiny tip cut from them, insert the skewers and allow to set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%