Pine Needles For Yule Log Cake

Decorating By angela8031 Updated 23 Nov 2015 , 1:53am by gscout73

angela8031 Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 4

Please help!   I am looking to make pine branches to decorate a yule log cake.  Normally I would just pipe them on the day of the event but I am time restricted right now.  I tried to make them with colored buttercream fondant and I had a hard time getting them thin enough without breaking, in addition to the fondant not hardening well.   Would gum paste be a better option? Or make a white vanilla fondant and color it after it hardens?  Any tips or hints for me?  Ive never done anything this small before.   Thanks!!

3 replies
sweets2thesweet Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 4

Gumpaste would definitely be a better option if you're looking for something you can get thin that will set hard.  You could also pipe them out of royal icing, which also sets hard.  Or you could just use rosemary sprigs if you're wanting it to look natural.  Hth!

*Last edited by sweets2thesweet on 22 Nov 2015 , 8:47pm
angela8031 Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 4

I will try the gum paste first.... If not, I will use Rosemary.  Thanks so much!

gscout73 Posted 23 Nov 2015 , 1:53am
post #4 of 4

I would pipe royal icing over spaghetti, using a round tip just a bit larger than the spaghetti so it comes out the tip coating in royal icing. Below is a pic from a link showing how to make a wrought iron fence, but to do pine needles use green instead of black. I've done this years ago and it really works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%