Non - Dairy Frosting

Baking By Cakewalk11 Updated 27 Dec 2015 , 7:39pm by Cakewalk11

Cakewalk11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakewalk11 Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 11

Hi! I'm wondering if any of you have a good non-dairy/nut free vanilla frosting that would work under fondant. I tried one using coconut oil/butter and powdered sugar and it was WAY too sweet! It just tasted like powdered sugar. :-P I've scoured the internet for recipes and can't seem to find one that works. Anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated!!

10 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 23 Nov 2015 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 11

You wanted dairy free yet you used butter?

You could try substituting a dairy free liquid (i.e. soy milk) in Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream recipe...

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

(due to some forum issues I am unable to add the link directly, but the web address is above)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 1:28am
post #3 of 11

@AAtKT  she used coconut butter (coconut oil) not dairy butter. You can get various dairy free margarines line  Nuttelex that you can use in place of butter in your icing recipes. I used to just replace the butter with it, no changing the recipe other than that. If your recipe calls for a tiny bit of liquid you could use water.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 1:59am
post #4 of 11

Cooked flour frosting...tastes like Swiss Meringue bc, but much less sweet. I substitute almond or rice milk instead of cows milk in the recipe, also you can use all shortening instead of butter...and it will still not be too sweet. Add some butter flavor extract to take away the greasiness of the shortening. 

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 3:53am
post #5 of 11

Careful though, Dream whip has dairy in it. But maybe subbing a powdered non-dairy coffee creamer would work?

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 5:04am
post #6 of 11

I used my ABC recipe but used vegan butter (Earth Balance) and rice milk instead. Worked great and the taste and texture were similar too :-)

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 10:40am
post #7 of 11

Oh... I thought she used a combination of  coconut oil and butter... My misunderstanding...  kissing.png

Cakewalk11 Posted 24 Dec 2015 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll try and experiment with a few recipes and see what I like.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 11

I usually replace the butter in my usual buttercream recipe with earth balance to make it non-dairy.  Just be aware that there are different earth balance types and they all taste a bit different in buttercream.  Please be careful with non-dairy coffee creamers.  Even though they say non-dairy, when you look more closely many still contain casein, which is a dairy protein that many people who have dairy allergies are allergic to.  Ridiculous to have a dairy product in something called non-dairy I know, but you would be shocked at how many products are like that.  Your best bet is to look for products labeled vegan.  

h0mesweeth0me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h0mesweeth0me Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 11

I have a lot of clients that request dairy-free cakes. one of my go-to options are dairy-free ganache.  I use a vegan/dairy-free cream with a good quality chocolate.  1200g chocolate to 600g non-dairy cream.  I love the taste and ganache is a pleasure to work with under fondant. good luck!

Cakewalk11 Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the warning FrostedMoon. I was unaware that casein had milk proteins in it. H0mesweeth0me - I've made non-dairy ganache using coconut cream and Droste cocoa powder. It was delicious but didn't harden like typical ganache does. I'd like to try getting sharp edges with the upside down method for this cake. What non-dairy cream have you used, and does it "harden" like typical ganache? I may try it with coconut milk and the cocoa powder to see if I can obtain the right consistency ( I can't use a baking chocolate bar because the cake has to be nut free as well and most bars are made in a factory containing nuts). 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%