How Much Fondant So I Need For A Loop Bow

Decorating By chocolate0 Updated 25 Nov 2015 , 1:02pm by JSadlak

chocolate0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate0 Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 1:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. For a bakesale at my church, I volenteered to bake . I want to make two dozen mini present cakes, each with a small loop bow on it. The bows will be about two inches wide, and about an inch tall. How many ounces of fondant do you think I'l need? Thanks!

4 replies
chocolate0 Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

Please can someone answer? I need to buy the fondant soon! Also, if I add gum tex, will that make it dry hard enough

JSadlak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSadlak Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

The thinner you roll it out the faster it will dry and you will get more.  Its hard to say exactly how much you will need. Are you only making fondant bows and not covering the whole cake in fondant?  FYI mini cakes can consume a lot more time than you realize. 

chocolate0 Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

Thanks. I am covering the cakes in fondant, but I have been able to figure out the amount for that on my own. I'm giving myself two days to do these cakes, hoping to get them done over the long weekend before I have to get back to school. I've decided on doing twenty four bows, rolled 1/8 of an inch thick, each with fourteen loops, and each ribbon (to be rolled into the loop) will be two inches long and a centimeter wide.

JSadlak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSadlak Posted 25 Nov 2015 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 5

Ok then I would say the bows will take about 25% of the amount you are using to cover the cakes 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%