Death Star Cake

Decorating By hep275 Updated 20 Nov 2015 , 8:24pm by hep275

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 6

So, my daughter's boyfriend has asked me to make a cake for a forthcoming Star Wars party and we have agreed on a death star.....I have 2 hemispherical tins so I can do the cake shape but I am wondering about how best to fondant it.  Would I be best to decorate the two cakes individually, let the fondant dry (a bit or fully?) and then assemble into one full circular death star with a fondant 'belt' to hide the join or would it be better to try to do the whole thing in one go?

I'm already regretting having thought I could do this!!

Many thanks

Helen

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 6

Seriously, make it easy on yourself and get one of those half-spheres in styrofoam at the craft store for the base. Then you can make the top of the cake out of real cake, and it will be a lot easier to cover.

I always wonder how you cut the bottom of a cake that's round and made entirely of cake. A lot of the time those are made from overbaked pound cake that's so hard you could stand it up on end for a couple of days and nothing would happen to it anyway, just for the stability. You might as well use styrofoam.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6

^^^ I've always wondered about that - how it holds it's shape and can support the top hemisphere and still be soft and delicious - the answer is, it probably isn't!. Thanks @costumeczar  Do the styrofoam thing it sounds muh less stressful!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 1:19am
post #4 of 6

Here, I did a video when I did a globe cake a couple of years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykcLgz3DlYg&list=PLZ_bioPrrMRcXG_T6N_BBn6dRbtSeUJ-l&index=5

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

I made one once, and used a styrofaom half sphere for the bottom, and cake for the top.  If you look at the actualy death star, there is a line around where the two halves meet...i covered top and bottom separatlely, then stack together and you have that seam.  I did mine really more free hand than actually detail by detail.  I used different textures to make pieces that I added, then in the end I airbrused the whole thing silver....was a big hit...thought it was for a 6 year old! LOL

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for your comments folks - useful hints and tips there and loved the video clip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%