Death Star Cake

Decorating By hep275 Updated 20 Nov 2015 , 8:24pm by hep275

hep275 Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 6

So, my daughter's boyfriend has asked me to make a cake for a forthcoming Star Wars party and we have agreed on a death star.....I have 2 hemispherical tins so I can do the cake shape but I am wondering about how best to fondant it.  Would I be best to decorate the two cakes individually, let the fondant dry (a bit or fully?) and then assemble into one full circular death star with a fondant 'belt' to hide the join or would it be better to try to do the whole thing in one go?

I'm already regretting having thought I could do this!!

Many thanks

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 6

Seriously, make it easy on yourself and get one of those half-spheres in styrofoam at the craft store for the base. Then you can make the top of the cake out of real cake, and it will be a lot easier to cover.

I always wonder how you cut the bottom of a cake that's round and made entirely of cake. A lot of the time those are made from overbaked pound cake that's so hard you could stand it up on end for a couple of days and nothing would happen to it anyway, just for the stability. You might as well use styrofoam.

Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6

^^^ I've always wondered about that - how it holds it's shape and can support the top hemisphere and still be soft and delicious - the answer is, it probably isn't!. Thanks @costumeczar  Do the styrofoam thing it sounds muh less stressful!

costumeczar Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 1:19am
post #4 of 6

Here, I did a video when I did a globe cake a couple of years ago.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

I made one once, and used a styrofaom half sphere for the bottom, and cake for the top.  If you look at the actualy death star, there is a line around where the two halves meet...i covered top and bottom separatlely, then stack together and you have that seam.  I did mine really more free hand than actually detail by detail.  I used different textures to make pieces that I added, then in the end I airbrused the whole thing silver....was a big hit...thought it was for a 6 year old! LOL

hep275 Posted 20 Nov 2015 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for your comments folks - useful hints and tips there and loved the video clip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%