Gluten Free Birthday Cake

Baking By RoseBonbon Updated 8 Dec 2015 , 3:36am by gigiel

RoseBonbon Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 9:49am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone!

My boys birthday is coming soon, they are both on a gluten free diet
I am in search for a tried gluten free cake recipe that holds under fondant decoration, they want a paw patrol themed cake (fondant decoration)

there are tons of recipes online, but It will be very time consuming to bake and decorate with fondant  just to check if it will taste good and hold enough

I really appreciate your help 
kissing_heart.png

7 replies
Denelly666 Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 11:21am
post #2 of 8

The Betty Crocker Gluten Free cake mixes are actually very good and the cakes are a little denser than standard cake mix cakes so they hold up with fondant.  I know many people feel like mixes are not as good as scratch cakes but when dealing with gluten free and the number of specialty flours and ingredients needed to compensate for the gluten, this is an excellent option.  I do highly recommend The How Can It Be Gluten Free cookbook, however.  I haven't tried a bad recipe from it yet.

RoseBonbon Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 11:36am
post #3 of 8

Thank you Denelly,
I think it is a good idea to use ready mixes once a year :)
Thanks for the book recommendation, I will order one asap :) 

RoseBonbon Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 11:52am
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the book recommendation, I am reading the sample pages on Amazon 
It is just what I need :)

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 8

The thing I've seen very often with gluten free recipes is they give you a recipe and just say "2 Cups of gluten free flour".  Most won't give you a recipe for the actual flour.  The best recipes I've made gluten free are based on the formula 40% grain (ie: millet, oat...) + 60% starch (ie: potato, sorghum, rice corn, tapioca) + a little bit of xanthan gum. I mix the flours so one flavor isn't too strong.  The mix idea for your purpose is really good if you have no time to experiment.

julia1812 Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

I use potato flour as a substitute because we don't have gluten free sections in the supermarket like everywhere else. The only other trouble is that I can't use chocolate as it might have traces of gluten. But other than that you can sub flour 1:1 from any regular recipe. 

maryj Posted 1 Dec 2015 , 1:28am
post #7 of 8

I have tried and thrown out hundreds of dollars of gf flours. I finally found one I actually enjoy baking with. Better Batter,it is a cup for cup blend. It can be ordered online,they have really good deals on a regular basis with free shipping on many things. I buy in bulk,25lbs at a time. GF baking can often times be very challenging....it's kind of like being a chemist! Gluten free on a shoestrring has very helpful charts on mixing different blends of flours, inclludding her take on a "mock" better batter. 

gigiel Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

The recipes with coconut flour have worked and tasted better than ones I have experimented with using 'flour blends.' Honey as the sweetener is a side bonus.  .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%