Can I Bake A Cake With Italian Meringue Buttercream?

Baking By Pipili Updated 24 Nov 2015 , 7:18am by Pastrybaglady

Pipili Posted 18 Nov 2015 , 11:26am
post #1 of 11

I have a lot of leftover Italian meringue buttercream. But I do not have enough space to refrigerate or freeze it. I was wondering if I'd be able to bake a cake with it adding flour and more eggs to the IMBC. Has anyone ever done it? I'm confused about the proportions.

10 replies
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2015 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 11

I've never thought of doing that, but technically it's butter, egg whites and sugar, so it could work. I wouldn't know where to start on a recipe, though.

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 12:19am
post #3 of 11

Whoa, what an intriguing question!  This is an algebraic equation waiting to happen.  If you know how much volume of frosting you get from one recipe you can figure out about how much egg, sugar and butter you have per cup of icing and work a recipe from there.  Anyone up for some experimentation?

camomama5 Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 12:37am
post #4 of 11

I wouldn't think so since IMBC is egg whites..Id think it would just deflate like IMBCcan when you mess with refrigeration and bringing it back to room temp. I'm curious the answer.

Pipili Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 10:53am
post #5 of 11

@Pastrybaglady  Being a Math major, I should be able to figure it out myself! :D Let's see if I can device a recipe.

Pipili Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 10:59am
post #6 of 11

@camomama5  IMBC is egg whites, sugar syrup and butter emulsified together. So I'm hoping the right amount of flour and some more egg/egg yolks will give it the necessary structure needed for a cake. I'm also planning to add baking powder to make sure the cake doesn't deflate. I'll experiment today and let you know.

camomama5 Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 11

IMBC is all I use. Have you ever tried to refrigerate it and then bring it back to room temp? That's what I was picturing. Keep us posted. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Nov 2015 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 11

@Pipili  You are?  Excellent, then this should be easy for you!  Can't wait to hear if it works :)

Pipili Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 11

Hey everyone, I baked the cake with IMBC and it was a success. I worked out how much butter, sugar and egg whites are there in 2 cups of IMBC and then added 3 more eggs, 1.5 cups of flour, 2 tsp dry milk powder, 1.5 tsp baking powder and 3/4 cups of sugar. I separated the eggs. Mixed and sieved the flour, baking powder and milk powder together. I beat the IMBC until it was smooth and fluffy and then creamed half of the flour mixture with it. Then added half of the sugar and egg yolks, one by one and beat until the mixture was smooth. Then folded in the rest of the flour. Then I beat the egg whites with the rest of the sugar until stiff peaks. Then gently folded the meringue into the batter. I baked the cake into a 9" greased and floured pan at 170 C until the cake was springy to the touch, about 40-50 minutes. I forgot to note the time. The cake turned out to be light and fluffy.

Now I'm patting myself on the back blush.png

Pipili Posted 22 Nov 2015 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 11

@camomama5  I refrigerate IMBC and use it later all the time. I never wait for it to come to room temperature. I kind of 'grind' the hard IMBC in teeny tiny chunks with a fork and then beat the living daylights out of it until it becomes smooth and silky and fluffy just like before. This trick works like a charm every time. But I have to mention that the climate is very hot and humid in our country so it doesn't take long for frozen things to come to room temp.

Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Nov 2015 , 7:18am
post #11 of 11

Wow, good to know that it can be done!  You deserve a pat on the back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%