Help- I Need A Good Carrot Cake Recipe For A Wedding Cake!

Baking By ckutzer Updated 26 Nov 2015 , 6:24am by Jedi Knight

ckutzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckutzer Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 12:24am
post #1 of 5

Hi - I am baking my first wedding cake.  They would like a carrot cake but it has to be dairy free!  i don't usually make carrot cakes so i am starting from scratch looking for a recipe.  The cake is for 50 guests, so will probably only be 2 tiers.  

4 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 5:32am
post #2 of 5

I use: http://www.food.com/recipe/why-i-joined-zaar-carrot-cake-73825  which is dairy free. 

Awesome cake, but most "carrot cake lovers" are really into the cream cheese icing, more than the cake itself.  I don't know how you get a great cream cheese frosting without dairy......sorry.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 5

The best carrot cake recipe I've found is the one from Cook's Illustrated magazine.

Nice amount of spices - not too heavy, and no other crap that doesn't belong in a CARROT cake (no coconut, no pineapple, no raisins, no nuts) - just the good sweet taste of carrots.

It's made with oil. I actually sub out about a third of the oil with melted butter - I like the taste and the mouth-feel of butter - and the cake is a little firmer.

ckutzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckutzer Posted 16 Nov 2015 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! Do you think this cake is firm enough to stack and cut without crumbling? 

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 26 Nov 2015 , 6:24am
post #5 of 5

Yes, I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%