Fondant Flowers - Can You Put On Cake Before Dry?

Decorating By s.erick Updated 13 Nov 2015 , 6:19pm by Snowflakebunny23

s.erick Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

I'm working with fondant for the first time today on a birthday cake I'm making!  I have the store bought fondant and was going to roll pretty thin to make some fantasy flowers.  I'm hoping to finish the cake so my customer can pick it up tonight.  I didn't have time to make the flowers earlier this week like I planned.  If I make them a couple hours before I put on the cake, will anything happen?  I don't want them to look bad tomorrow.  Or is there a way to speed up the drying process?

I can leave them off all-together, but I thought they would be a nice touch to the cake I'm making!

4 replies
julia1812 Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 5

What type of flowers are you making? Cut with a plunger or 3d shaped ones like roses etc? If you make 3d flowers you should use flower paste/gum paste to make them. Or at least mix a lit of gumtex/cmc in your fondant because otherwise it won't work and they'll just collapse. They will also dry very quick and you shouldn't have issues putting them on the cake tonight. 

s.erick Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 5

I'm going to make them similar to these.  I will use a round cutter to cut them out.  I will probably use a round/flattened fondant ball instead of the pearls in the picture.

s.erick Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 5

*Last edited by s.erick on 13 Nov 2015 , 5:26pm
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 5

If you are using gumpaste then you may be ok but i think fondant would fall victim to gravity and mis-shapen before it sets. sometimes you can get away with it but there is always a risk that it will droop...

Quote by @%username% on %date%